Heater valve control cable

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Heater valve control cable

Post by John Vardanian »

Does anyone have a good source for this cable?

I went to a lawn mower shop and their smallest diameter was too thick. I also checked a hobby shop, they have the right diameter cable but only in 3-4 foot lengths.

Thanks.

john
tyang

Post by tyang »

'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tom. Why didn't I think of that?!

Another question... How did you free the old sheath from its landing point and how did you secure the new one? In mine it seems the sheath is press fitted, meaning, it's crimped in. Thanks.

john
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

VERY CAREFULLY! Yeah, it's tricky. The control cable is spiral wound, so perhaps twisting it while pulling it will let the cable constrict enough to come out. The new stuff is narrower, so crimping it in place should be fine.

Good luck, and let us know if you find a better technique.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

Another good source for cable and fittings is Aircraft Spruce. They supply materials to the experimental aircraft builders. Lots of interesting hardware, paints, insulation, odd supplies, etc.

Chris
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

Another good source would be a motorcycle shop. I have a whole drawer full of throttle and brake cables that would easily fit the bill.
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

tyang wrote:Hi John,

VERY CAREFULLY! Yeah, it's tricky. The control cable is spiral wound, so perhaps twisting it while pulling it will let the cable constrict enough to come out. The new stuff is narrower, so crimping it in place should be fine.

Good luck, and let us know if you find a better technique.

Tom
Tom, are you referring to the bicycle shop cable? It's cold now in Texas and I'm going out to look for some cable for my 330, since the old one is corroded and unuseable. It looks like I will have to take out the driver's seat to get enough work room to remove and replace the cable at the control lever. As long as I'm at it, I might as well take out the tachometer and send it off for a rebuild.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I located my heater cable at a NAPA Auto Parts store here in Southern California. It works effortlessly.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I went out to a bicycle shop this afternoon and bought a 5'-6'' length of solid, stiff wire cable in a plastic coated sheath. It slips back and forth very easily and will definitely work at the heater valve lever under the hood. I am going to have to remove the front seat to get comfortably to the back of the lever assembly to attach the new cable, but it's no big deal, maybe I'll go ahead and take out the tach for a rebuild and get an estimate to redo the front seats from the cheap crappy recover I had done last year.

When I get the cable fixed, I'll post how it went.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Well, I went to a couple of bicycle shops but all I could find was stranded cable, which works well for pulling but not pushing. I was trying to save the sheath and just replace the core. The parts stores only sold choke cables which would work fine as long as use the cable along with its own sheath.

I ended up buying piano wire. Thanks to everyone's suggesstions.

john
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

John Vardanian wrote:Well, I went to a couple of bicycle shops but all I could find was stranded cable, which works well for pulling but not pushing. I was trying to save the sheath and just replace the core. The parts stores only sold choke cables which would work fine as long as use the cable along with its own sheath.

I ended up buying piano wire. Thanks to everyone's suggesstions.

john
John, the kind of bicycle cable I got is called Positron, and they got it from the back of the store when I told them I needed cable for a push/pull function and couldn't use the braided kind.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

bc49,

Thanks. I wished I had known about the Positron business earlier. But I put in the piano wire today and it worked fine. Thanks for your help.

john
Leo

Post by Leo »

for all interested i have a roll of factory original heater cable.
sure not to last......
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Leo wrote:for all interested i have a roll of factory original heater cable.
sure not to last......
Leo, how about some particulars, such as price and condition?

Thanks
Leo

Post by Leo »

the cable is perfect and brand new NOS goods. it is $10. per foot.
i only have one small roll. no idea how many feet need to do a car.
i think that the cable is the same from the 250 cars thru the 365 series, but i don't know for sure. hope this helps.