dente

Anyone familiar with 250gte 4217?

Post by dente »

David Hodge

Post by David Hodge »

all i know is that the price keeps going up about $10K every few months
sjvalin

Post by sjvalin »

David Hodge wrote:all i know is that the price keeps going up about $10K every few months
I have noticed that, too, with some other Ferrari's at other places. It seems counter-intuitive to me.

-steve
Yale

Post by Yale »

I have noticed that, too, with some other Ferrari's at other places. It seems counter-intuitive to me.[/quote]

Let's see, ever heard about supply and demand? For all the talk about old Ferrari's are just used cars the fact of the matter is according to the GTE newsletter out of the 1000 or so GTE's:

"We know about 197 GTE's currently.

For 253 we knew the last owner but not, perhaps, the current one.

For 311 we knew the last time they had been seen or sold, but not the owner.

38 had been parted out.

That leaves 207 where we do not have any information.

Additionally, as of December 31, 2003 we knew that 136 of these cars had been "transformed" into something else--like 250 GTSWB Berlinetta replicas which is the most popular choice, or 250 Testa Rossas or 250 GT SWB Californias, etc. So they aren't really GTEs anymore."-Bill Preston.

Really doesn't leave a lot of cars to be on the market at any one time and if people are currently wanting them, and they are selling for a higher and higher price, the price goes up on all of them. Like stamps or wine or clay figurines or anything else people collect. Yale
[/quote]
sjvalin

Post by sjvalin »

Yale wrote:Really doesn't leave a lot of cars to be on the market at any one time and if people are currently wanting them, and they are selling for a higher and higher price, the price goes up on all of them. Like stamps or wine or clay figurines or anything else people collect. Yale
Yale, that part makes sense. What seems odd is that some dealer has a car that's been sitting on their lot for many months, and they raise the price on it. If it's been sitting on their lot so long, it must not have been a great deal to begin with, so why raise the price?

-steve
Yale

Post by Yale »

Because they can see that the prices are going up. They are pricing the car at what someone else has paid for one. They can afford to wait so it doesn't have to be "a great deal." Because there aren't a lot of cars to begin with, like musical chairs, they might end up with the only one out there, (or in Southern Ca., or the East Coast or where ever), so that if you want one... like the GTB situation, or Lusso's or any of the cars that people are paying a higher and higher price for. It really isn't "just like any used car." The prices are a moving target, supply and demand again. And when they are moving people get pissed because "they used to cost_____ and now they are overpriced." I guess they are only "over priced" when people don't buy them and with the strong Euro it might not seem over priced to someone overseas.

Best,
Yale
dente

Post by dente »

Guys, thank you for all of your input.
I realize the price is high but I was wondering if anyone knows any specific history on the car.

I will be going to take a look at the car on Friday and Tom I will find out about the alleged new paint job.

Tom are you planning on selling any of those new finds?

all the best,
dente
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Dente,

At that price, it should be in pretty good shape. Here are a few things I would take a close look at besides the usual compression leak down tests:

Make sure there are no driveline vibrations. Take it up above 70mph and feel for anything that vibrates like a driveshaft, or flywheel.

Make sure the overdrive enages in 4th gear.

Make sure there are no fuel stains below the carburators on the intake manifolds. This points to leaking metering jets on the carbs.

Make sure the wiper motor works at both speeds.

These issues can cost extra money to sort out in descending order on price.

Good luck, and we'd love to hear a full report!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Oh, and another thing. Check the floor pans! These floors were a steel and fiberglass sandwich, and were perfect for trapping moisture. Watch out for undercoating covering a host of troubles!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
LARRY

250 GTE #4217

Post by LARRY »

Sorry for the lateness of this post,

I looked at this car when it was in Northern California before it was sent to LA. The car needed paint, the lh door skin was rippled and the windshield was broken. Seat covers had shrunken to the point where they didn't cover the cushions on the front seats. Engine seemed to run ok although I didn't take it out to drive. I was offered the car but felt the price a little steep. It subsequently went in a package of cars to the people in Los Angeles. I was given a copy of the owners' list of work done on the car over the last twenty five years and still may have it somewhere.

What was the condition of the car when you saw it?

Larry