Driving mp3 I

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

andy

Driving mp3 I

Post by andy »

Tom,

Thanks for posting the mp3 of your car. It sounds fantastic! Couple of questions:

1. The recording is very clear. Can you share how you did it and what hardware/software you used? I would like to try it myself.

2. It sounds like you are short shifting. In your next recording can you give us some of that characteristic Ferrari V-12 howl we all love so much?

:-)
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Tom,

Thanks for driving the MP3 I and putting it on the site. I have played it about ten times now and it really sounds good when played loud.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I'm glad you appreciate the sound file. I was beginning to think I was the only one who got excited over hearing that V-12 motor!

Andy:
With only 700 miles on this rebuilt motor, I'm going to put a few more miles on her before I go past 5500 rpm, although I'm sure I already had on a few occasions! Once I feel the engine is broken in, I may record some more revs.

As far as the recording goes, It was done on my Sony digital camcorder. Believe it or not, these microphones are not bad in recording ambient sound in stereo. I have access to better microphones, but creating an accurate stereo image gets complicated. We have this saying in TV, "Keep it simple, stupid!"

The MP3 file was created using a combination of I-movie, Final Cut Pro, and I-tunes, but basically any video editing software should be able to extract the sound file and create an AIFF (CD quality) file. From there, you "rip it" into a MP3.

Did I lose you? If I did, sorry! It probably totally makes sense to your kids! ;-)

Rudy:
It's great having this file on my computer so I can hear my car whenever I want! I plan to make more just for my own listening pleasure!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

With my wife asking me what I want for Christmas, an MP3 recorder, if that's what you call it (sounds old-fashioned, "recorder"), is an idea. I have 2 or 3 software programs that will play back the files and would also like to record some V12 sounds. It would be interesting to hear my 330 with the Timevalve exhaust system in comparison to some of the others here. I think you posted that idea awhile back, Tom; a side by side comparison of different makes of replacement systems and original original.

I don't know how my car sounds from outside, other than a smooth, low, powerful rumble from the quad pipes at fully warm idle. My wife and others have told me they can hear it a block or so away and I swear I've been only doing 25 to 30 in 30 zones and people have screamed at me to slow down - the sound, especially if I'm holding it in first or second, creates the perception that I am going faster. That's a cool thing about the 12 cyl.; it sounds great even in the lower rev ranges, at least from inside the car, and obviously it's quite audible from the outside.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
DMC

Post by DMC »

Tom, just a quick note -

The sound file of your car is really good, and, I have to say, so is the sound on the Letterman show. My wife tivo's a couple of daytime talk shows and watches them at night, and there is no comparison. The sound on the Tony Danza show is especially bad. Mic's are always placed badly on guests (and sometimes the host!), leading to muffled dialog and rustling when the mic rubs up against clothing. They also seem to be compensating for something by having the gain up way too high on the mics - a lot of the time, they are clipping really badly. Mix is horrible when they have any musical guests. Live with Regis & Kelly is better, but they still have occasional issues.

I did some pro sound a long time ago, and I'm a musician, so I tend to notice when a mix is bad. The mix on the Letterman show is consistently GREAT. I wonder why it's so hard for other shows to get a good mix, when they have a (presumably) smaller space to work with, no live band, less overall going on than there is on your show.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to say NICE WORK! :)
mikemeade

Post by mikemeade »

I just had a great idea! I can burn that MP3 to a CD, and then crank it while I am driving my car. If I can't own a v12, at least it could sound like it for a little bit....

I am sure that is likely to get me a speeding ticket, who could drive slow to that great sound?

Mike
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Nick Mason, the drummer for Pink Floyd, has an excellent book called Into The Red, in which he talks about the classic cars in his collection (which includes a GTO). The British version of the book comes with a CD of each car starting up, then taking a few laps around a race track. Now this is good driving music! You got to listen to it while driving solo though, as few passengers truely appreciate it...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Blucat49: There's no need for a MP3 recorder if you have a video camera witha digital out.

My plan was to record a Timevalve exhaust and an original Ansa, but I think the weather is closing in on us here in the Northeast.

DMC: Thanks for the kind words on what I do for a day job! Credit goes not to just me, but everyone in the audio department. It's truly a group effort to make it sound good. I always say that if you don't notice the audio in a television program, then we are doing a good job.

I don't even want to get into the challenges of amplifying dialog and live music in a theater designed before sound reinforcement. That is for another forum!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053