365 GTC 4 Water Oil Pump Removal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Dr. Ian Levy

365 GTC 4 Water Oil Pump Removal

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello all
Can anyone give me some information about removing the water/oil pump assembly on a 365 GTC4
The engine is out of the car & I have removed the sump etc & other bits for access.
The manual tells me to release the tension on the duplex chain which drives the control gears but this in itself appears impossible to get at.
I don't see away to release pressure of the chain tensioner.
If I remove the nuts holding the control gears to the shafts as it says in the manual what will I achieve
Has anyone done this job on their car?
Regards & thanks

Ian Levy
Dr. Ian Levy

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello
62 viewings & not a reply.
Obviously a rare care & an even rarer repair
For what it's worth I have now done the job
If anyone has a similar problem I may be able to assist
Regards
Ian Levy
Manchester
UK
JonBrent

Post by JonBrent »

Ian,

Yes, not too many 365 GTC4 DIYrs here, obviously! I didn't chime in, as I'm not too sure how similar the 330 engine is to yours in the details. That said, the cam chain tension on the 330 motor is dead simple to loosen - the chain tensioner is nothing more than a spring loaded idler gear. Remove it, or release the lock nut is all that's required, provided yours isn't stuck fast, as mine was. Careful on the chain skipping a gear on the crank, if you need to put it all together without major timing/reassembly.

The water pump on the 330 is driven by the cam chain, but mines still stuck to the front housing, so can't add much there. The oil pump is driven by a gear on the crank, with its whole assembly inside the bottom of the front casting. This must be different to your generation of the 365.

Cheers,
Jon
Dr. Ian Levy

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello Jon
The arrangement on the GTC 4 is quite different
The oil/water pump is driven by a separate short duplex chain driven by a double drive gear on the crank to a pair of double drive gears below which are side by side behind the water / oil pump The tensioner is the flimsiest arrangement of plastic & nylon & is very easy to damage when removing.
Regards
Ian Levy