365GT2+2 Engine Re-build

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Bernard Fahimian

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

Hello all, I suggest having a rating system on this site for the best recommended Ferrari mechanics and what their specialty is. Each member could also write about their " PERSONAL " experience with the mechanic and the work done. Bernard
judge4re

Post by judge4re »

I think that one of the most common mistakes that people make when buying their first, or even next Ferrari, is not having someone that they can trust, to evaluate their car. I recently looked at a 308 GTS (27429 for those keeping track at home) and brought my mechanic along with me to completely look over the car and drive it (after I did, of course) before I even thought about making an offer. I have made an offer and am still in a holding pattern with the current owner (if someone recognizes the chassis number and knows the owner, they'll understand that this may be a long wait; I'll give you a hint, he's never returned a phone call).

If you are in the Southeast and need an excellent mechanic, please let me know off line. It's not that he doesn't want to be known, he's just selective on what he works on. Especially once you learn that he'll bring his tools to your house and work on your car in your garage. Yes, I am a lucky bastard.

Regards,
Erik

erik@velocetoday.com

yes, that Erik.
tyang

Post by tyang »

If there is enough information gathered, I may put together some kind of recommendation list.

Tom
El Wayne

Post by El Wayne »

Tom, I agree that a list would be a great idea. I think a rating system and room for comments would be a must.
bill rose

Top Mechanics List

Post by bill rose »

I think, such a list, should include professioanls only . . . who come highly recommended by an equally impressive group of Ferrari owners. In my profession . . . it is well known that even a mediocre practitioner, has at least one client who believes they are the absolute finest!

So, perhaps, Tom should start a tentative list with names that are presented by several forum registrants . . . OR come recommended by someone well respected within the Ferrari world (such as Francois). In any case . . . this tentative list would then be posted for review by everyone. Comments would be welcomed . . . and no name would be included in a final list of recommendations, if it is receives mixed reviews.

Just my thinking . . . the list should be of the "best of the best".

Bill
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I would like to help gather information for a list of Ferrari Mechanics, but here are some of my thoughts.

As Bill Rose said, "In my profession . . . it is well known that even a mediocre practitioner, has at least one client who believes they are the absolute finest!"
This also can go the other way. I'm sure there are Ferrari owners who don't think highly of Francois because he may have turned them away, or took too long. Competition between Ferrari Mechanics is also very fierce, so I've also heard negative stories about guys in the business that are pretty prominent in the Ferrari world. It will be hard to judge both sides of these stories.

Perhaps a listing, with a collection of personal references can work. I'm open to suggestions.

Tom
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

I agree with you, Tom . . . the reverse IS true, just as often. Sometimes a top pro turns off some clients, because of their insistance on the way the job should be done. As in my profession, ego can go with success . . . I personally know of a highly respected Ferrari mechanic in my area, who is often described as "NOT a people person" (not Jens) I also know of a neurosurgeon, who is thought of as incredibly egotistical, and nearly impossible to get along with . . . yet he's the one some of his biggest critics, would go to if they had an emergency. Because he's the best!

It may be very difficult to get any kind of agreement on a list. Perhaps your idea of a list, with room for comments might work.

Tough call, Tom!

Bill
bill rose

LATEST UPDATE . . .

Post by bill rose »

Jens Paulson has finished the welding on the damaged head, and has replaced all the valve seats. Now for some machining on the welds, to make a finished surface. But first he will make a template to follow.

He has just about rounded up all the necessary parts (from all over!) Says that I can come back in a couple more weeks, to take pictures of his progress.

Meanwhile, I'm puttering around in the engine compartment. Perhaps, I'll sort out some of the extra wiring all old Ferraris seem to have . . . what a pain! But I guess, back then, it was much more cost effective, to put in new, rather than trace down the electrical problems.

;-P

Bill
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Bill,

The best time to work on the electrics is when the engine is out.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any problems.

Tom
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

FYI - if yu are going to do extensive rewiring efforts, be advised that there are more than a few errors on the wiring diagram in your 365 owner's manual. I think Zac can back me up on this - there is actually one circuit that just stops in the middle of the page, leading nowhere. I don't remember the exact issues, but we took copious notes - I'll try to retrieve them this weekend. I am talking about the early 365 model, not the later one w/ the twin alternators. Good luck.

Bryan
bill rose

365GT2+2 electricals . . .

Post by bill rose »

Bryan . . .

Thanks for your input. Mine is 1969, WITH twin alternators. I'm going to try to clean up the tangle under the glove box . . . plus I'm sure all the contacts could use a good cleaning, anyway!

I appreciate any help you can provide . . . if your experience can apply to my car.

Best, Bill
zac

Post by zac »

Hi Bill,
I to own a 1969 USA car as well as two 1970 models if you have any questions feel free to ask I have both the early and late owners manuals with wiring diagrams. I also have the USA supplement book that has the correct layout for the twin alternators and the proper set up for the dinoplex switches and the idle ignition retard circuit switch. If you are missing the box that covers the fan relays and alternator fuses on the left inner fender well. you can copy mine. A-Z Wire will actually make a complete new wiring harness for somewhere around a grand using all the proper wire and conectors if you are interested.
Zac
Rob328gts

Rating shops and legal issues...

Post by Rob328gts »

We ran into requests and the need to publically rate shops on www.FerrariChat.com. We finally decided against any formal list and rating system because of the legal implications. I have no doubt it should be our right to do this and any case could be won. Unfortunately, with such a small budget and any money coming in barely covering ads and hosting costs, there is no way we could put up a legal fight, even if we were right. Do you think a major shop with revenues of $1 mil. a year won't take a little internet site to court. If anything, it would just be a gorilla legal strategy, but it's enough to scare me. Ultimately, we decided to give users the freedom to openly write anything they want within the unstructured messages. Just like on Tom's board, if you want info on a shop, then do a search. It's not as organized, but it does provide somewhat of a legal shield. Yahoo has users post illegal information all the time, but Yahoo wouldn't be sued unless it was part of an article that they endorsed.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Rob,

Good points. As both of our message boards grow, it will certainly help many owners find good shops to fix their Ferraris, without risking litigation! Rating shops seems to open too many problems!

Tom
PETER GABRIEL

top mechanics

Post by PETER GABRIEL »

Hey it"s easy you don't need a list, everybody just sends in the name of the guys they know that are good. No legal implications there. Let me be the first to recommend the best one. His name is Maintenance. Thats what keeps those valves from dropping. Don't forget those worn adjusting screws,camshaft sprockets, timeing chain, tensioner, proper valve adjustments. Sometimes you guys make these engines sound like they are some delicate Patek Phillipe watch. I remember seeing the Rodriguez brothers Gurney, Graham Hill and the likes run these engines flat out, sometimes for 24 hours <Sebring>. These are strong, tough, durable engines. With proper care rebuilds are a long way off.