365GT2+2 Engine Re-build

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

bill rose

Dec 12 Update . . .

Post by bill rose »

Finally! Jens has acquired all the necessary parts to really get into the rebuild. The most difficult to find were the cylinder sleeves. He found 12 NOS (sitting dusty on a shelf, deep in a parts dept) . . . $333 each!!! What can I say . . . if you're going to get screwed, you may as well lay down, and enjoy it!
So, next Sunday, I'll drive out to his shop, and be able to see (and photograph) all the layed out parts . . . before he starts re-assembly. He will be using a combination of NOS parts; excellent condition used parts, he has uncovered: and reusable existing parts from my engine.
Also, he is not happy with the radiator rebuild (re-core), I had done by my previous mechanic some monthe ago ;-(
Jens says that typically, mechanics, unable to find proper radiators (complete, or cores) . . . resort to having them re-built with truck cores. NOT GOOD! The fins are to far apart . . . 40% less cooling (compared to the original). So, he will either dig up a used radiator (hard to find) . . . OR have a new core custom-made. I can hardly wait to find out what that will cost.
More later . . . Bill
abrent

Radiator Shop

Post by abrent »

Hi Bill,

Crandall Radiator service re-cored my GTE radiator with a 3 row flat fin core for $388.00 It seemed to work fine, the reference came from an Aston Martin friend of mine who got similar work done on a DB4.

They are sort of near you at 4151 W. Marine Ave Lawndale. 310-676-2936

Regards,

Andrew.
bill rose

radiator core

Post by bill rose »

Thanks Andrew,

I'll let Jens know your recommendation. He indicated that he has a radiator builder . . . it will be interesting to see who it is, and how much he wants for the job. I'll keep everyone posted. Radiators are definitely an item that wears out eventually, and are so very important! You'd think there would be a market for repros!

Bill
bill rose

*****NEW UPDATE

Post by bill rose »

Hi all . . . well, it is closer to the time that my car and engine will be reunited. Jens has finally rounded up all the necessary parts, and is just about to start assembling the engine.
Here is a list of the key items...
- cylinder liners (10 with very little use & 2 NOS)
- pistons (12 little used)
- new exhaust valves (Italian stainless steel)
- new rings (original)
- custom made valve guides & seats (damaged head has been welded & machined)
- new crankshaft oil channel plugs (crank has been drilled, cleaned & polished)
- new timing chain
There is still a little machining/balancing to do. Also he will have a new radiator built to better-than-original specs, using my original cans. This, of course, is a weakness of these cars . . . so it will be great to have additional capacity. He says I'll have no more over-heating worries, even in traffic!
Jens has just finished work on a 1965 275 GTS, and has now cleared space to get going on mine.

I'm excited to get her back on the road.
bill rose

Radiator

Post by bill rose »

Some additional info about the radiator...
Jens has found a custom builder in Arizona, to make an excellant copy of the radiator, using modern core materials. He just finished making one for the 275GTS (I mentioned in my prior post) . . . this one from the ground up! Cost around $150, and looked wonderful! Fortunately, my cans are still good!