Exhaust Comparisons

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Exhaust Comparisons

Post by tyang »

Hi All,

Besides having more cool sounds of Ferrari V-12s, I though it would be nice to finally have an audio comparison of exhaust systems. I posted it my most recent post, and will make a copy for the "tips" section. Let me know if this helps.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Koll

Post by Koll »

Of course, they all sound great! The Ansa sounds more like the old Ferrari sounds from cars in the movies of the period. However, I loved your Stebros as the engine throttle was blipped. Deep growl. Very nice.

With most good engines, it's all about the negatives. If there are no negatives, all will be good.

I heard no negatives.

If I had to make a choice, I'd take the Stebro system. Although an Ansa system with the Stebro deep growl would be best.
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Tom, that's a very valuable addition to the webpage--it ought to be a feature. Just hearing those exhaust sounds is enough to get you hooked.

I agree about the Timevalve system. Mine sounds much better from inside the car than it apparently does from outside. If I could do it again the Stebro would be my choice because it sounds much better from outside and is also stainless--stainless being my reason for picking Timevalve over Ansa. The Stebro has that deep barking Vrooom! sound that is lacking in the other two. I don't care whether it sounds like a "hot rod" or not--it's very cool!

I'm somewhat disappointed because the exhaust system is a big buck/replacement-not-optional item.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
matt

Post by matt »

I decided to buy a Tubi for my 275gtb. When I opened one of the boxes, I discovered deep scraches on the rear tips. I phoned Franc at Tubi who agreed to pay for polishing. I later discovered that every mounting bracket would need to be moved to fit on my car. This gets expensive with stainless steel. For the price I paid for this system I expected more. I decided to send the system back and I will install an Anza. Franc at Tubi charged me a ten percent re stocking charge. That plus the shipping I am out $850. I am not happy with Tubi. I believe if I went with Timevalve they would have taken care of me better. They have a lifetime warranty. Tubi has 1 year.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Bluecat:

I have to admit, I revved my engine a little harder on the Stebro system than the Timevalve, and Ansa system, so the sound is a lot more aggressive.

Matt:

I remember talking to Timevalve when Yale was having his exhaust installed, and they told me that one of their customers ( a west coast Ferrari shop) orders all their systems without the mounting tabs attached. They weld them on as they fit them to the car. Most of my tabs lined up, but I still had to move two of them.

What did you finally go with?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Tom,

Thanks for the great sound comparisons of the three exhaust systems. I still have to go with the Ansa system as a preference. To me it just exemplifies the truest in the Ferrari sound that I have been so accustomed to all these years.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

matt wrote:I decided to buy a Tubi for my 275gtb....believe if I went with Timevalve they would have taken care of me better. They have a lifetime warranty. Tubi has 1 year.
Your comments about Timevalve are accurate; at least from my experience. When I was getting some reconditioning work done on my car in CA before it was shipped to me in Texas, I requested a replacement exhaust system that would be the best compromise between long term durability and good sound. I credit Johannes at Dino Motors/San Mateo for intelligently guiding me through the choices. Ansa we ruled out right away because it was not stainless. J. thought that Timevalve was the better choice over Stebro because in his experience TV was dependably good quality and generally fit well "right out of the box", with few shop modifications needed. This proved out in the installation--he took much less time than I would expect installing it. He even mentioned to me that the TV would be a somewhat quieter system than the other two, without compromising the V12 sound. It has a great growl from inside the car and I've gotten plenty of compliments on the outside sound. I do miss that deep bark that Tom's car has but as long as there's no smoke coming out, I'm happy.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I ordered the Stebro for my car last week. I decided against ANSA because I wanted stainless. Dan said he would throw in a couple of extra loose tabs just in case but thought the system for my car should fit pretty close.
1967 330 GTC #9313
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

got the Stebro a few years ago. had to move the front hanger about 1.5 inches. other than that, fine.
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
Yale

Post by Yale »

Hi,

I thought I should weigh in here since it's my Timevalve set up. You have to understand that when I got the Timevalve system Tom and I thought it sounded right and when Tom got the Stebro system we thought that sounded wrong as it is quite -motor boaty- sounding. When we heard Michaels system we saw that the Ansa sound is a bit motor boaty then the TV and hence Tom was happier with his system. I say all this because rarely are we going to be in a situation where we can compare exhaust sounds. And so, if you ordered a Timevalve system you would be happy with the sound as you would if you went for the Stebro.

Furthermore I have heard that the orginal orginal systems were from Abarth. Anybody heard one of these?
Yale
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

From the back end, my car sounds motor-boaty at idle until well warmed up, then kind of a deep, low rumble as it smooths out.

All I've ever heard is that Ansa duplicates the original system the most closely.

Would the differing metal characteristics of stainless and non-stainless have any effect on sound, like wood species in a guitar or violin?
Deane

Post by Deane »

Yale,

I actually had the original Abarth system on my car until a few years ago. My car had apparently been a daily driver from new until it was about 5 years old; then a curb or something took out the lower radiator mount, and it sat for 25 years. This led to the survival of the original exhaust, which was kept during the resoration.

Anyway, it was LOUD. And it fell into pieces after about a year. The Ansa exhaust which replaced it has about the same tone, but with a little less volume.

Deane
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
tyang

Post by tyang »

I think absolutely the stainless steel will slightly change the characteristics of the sound, but it's a small compromise for durability.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Yale

Post by Yale »

One more thing regarding volume. I orginally had the Ansa system which was pretty crapped out by the time I got it. On the drive up to Timevalve to get the new exhaust neither Tom or I could hear ourselves but at 5000 RPM the yowl would make the hairs on your neck stand up. Now on the drive up to Michaels house last week or so I put the car into overdrive so I could have a conversation with Tom. Even with the Timevalve system it is pretty loud. Not as loud as the hole-y, crapped out with no insulation Ansa though, that really didn't work for long trips but it was great at stop lights. Yale
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Last week I had a friend rev up my 330 while I listened from the back. Between 3k and 4k rpm the rumbling idle sound smooths out to a low, booming roar--a powerful thundering sound. It's not the same as Tom's car but very satisfactory. Any previous second-guessing about my Timevalve system is now cancelled.