Help Identifying Headlights

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Zinhead

Help Identifying Headlights

Post by Zinhead »

About a year ago, I purchased a set of Carello H4 7' headlights from a European vendor. They were advertised as NOS H4's, and what showed up in the mail fitted an H4 bulb, but they were unlike a modern headlight in that they had a metal bar fitted within the assembly with a domed reflector in front of bulb. The purpose of the reflector is to eliminate light eminating from the bulb directly forward. There are lots of photos of 1920's through 1950's car having the same system.

I did some research, and apparantly the modern H4 bulb was standardized in the early 70's. The H4 varied from earlier systems in that the tip of the bulb contained a reflector to block out forward facing light eminating directly from the bulb. Apparently, the lights that I purchased are pre-H4, and would not be period correct for my 74 Alfa GTV. The have a block Carello script.

My question is what to do with these lights? If they are somewhat rare, they should belong on a period Alfa, Maserati or Ferrari. If not, I will just throw them on the GTV. Thanks.