Painting Wire Wheels

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jsa330

Painting Wire Wheels

Post by jsa330 »

I want to renew the paint on the spokes and hubs of my Borranis. Can anyone make a rec for a product to use?

This is a $500 solution to a $3,000 project: Have the knockoffs restored at $100 apiece, hand polish out the rims, paint spokes and hubs (Dino Mtrs. in San Mateo beadblasted the lightly corroded spokes and hubs and painted them, I want to maintain that finish), get wheels balanced. Then, spend another $200 and get a knockoff wrench to prevent damage to restored knockoffs.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
matt

Post by matt »

I would call Bob at RS performance coatings 650 678 9240. They do beautiful work for custom cars. I don't know if power coating would be a good idea but they may have some other options.
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings.. Sometime back, I bought one of the big cast bronze sockets for my knockoffs. Haven't been able to find one since. Any idea who is selling them now? Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
treue

Post by treue »

Bluecat: I would suggest you contact Dayton Wheel Products. They restored my Borrani for $400, which included all-new stainless steel spokes, a nicely polished rim and a re-chromed hub. It was so beautiful, I wanted to put it in a museum without a tire. It’s more money, but I think you would be MUCH happier with them. Also, they will make sure the wheels are safe to use.

Tim: I bought a torque wrench kit for my three-eared Borranis, which came with a socket for the knock-off nuts, from Stainless Steel Brakes. I modified the openings in the socket to include padding made from soft copper tubing to further protect the nuts from damage. With something like the SSB kit, I don’t know why anyone would want to use a lead hammer on the nuts.
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
lukek

Post by lukek »

There was also another vendor. The propriator showed up one of Tom's motel parties (Concorso 04). Business card is at home....Anybody remember the name? He had good prices and samples looked good compared to Dayton work. I might be going down that road, but I wanted to get mine inspected to see how good/bad they are.

thx
luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

treue wrote:Bluecat: I would suggest you contact Dayton Wheel Products. They restored my Borrani for $400, which included all-new stainless steel spokes, a nicely polished rim and a re-chromed hub. It was so beautiful, I wanted to put it in a museum without a tire. It’s more money, but I think you would be MUCH happier with them. Also, they will make sure the wheels are safe to use.

Tim: I bought a torque wrench kit for my three-eared Borranis, which came with a socket for the knock-off nuts, from Stainless Steel Brakes. I modified the openings in the socket to include padding made from soft copper tubing to further protect the nuts from damage. With something like the SSB kit, I don’t know why anyone would want to use a lead hammer on the nuts.
Tom:

Point about safety well taken. I've talked to both Dayton and Hendrix about my wheels and have decided to do the full restoration in stages, knockoffs first.

Awhile back a co. called Seaport Castings was selling the k.o. sockets. A couple of people on this board bought one and were happy.

Matt:

Does RS sell spray paint, etc.?
matt

Post by matt »

I do not believe they sell paint. Give Bob a call. I am sure he has some ideas for you. I purchased a knock off tool from Tom Shanessey. I also needed to buy the rachet and a 3 foot piece of pipe as well. It works great...with respect to wheel and knockoff restoration, Cork Adams has a great reputation and does top quality work. He did my wheels several years ago, and is doing my mag knock offs right now. He is a very nice person to deal with as well. He IS the guy to do your wheels.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hedrix and Dayton seem to have experience with wire wheels, but Cork Adams has experience with Borranis. Cork has the stamps for the markings on the rims, and his engraver knows how to replace the logos on the knockoffs. All these marks and logos get buffed off when these parts are restored, and I would feel better about having someone who is familier with what is correct for these wheels. If Dayton and Hendrix can assure you they will do this, I would go with Cork.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Cork has done my knock offs and also my alloy wheels and I am very satisfied with the results. He is also a great guy to deal with.
1967 330 GTC #9313
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I went back to my notes and I did have a conversation with Cork Adams. I just didn't remember that he wasn't connected with Hendrix or Dayton.

He was a very friendly, knowledgeable guy who spent the time it took to answer my questions. I will take all of your recs and call him--still can't afford to have five Borranis restored right now, but will go ahead with the knockoffs and get the socket.

Thanks,

Scott