330 America on ebay alert

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Am supposed to be sharing Easter bonding moments with family and friends yet this car is distracting me quite seriously these past two days. Need cure soon. Any known antidotes?

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
william

Post by william »

Rudy, Buy It...................

William
David Hodge

Post by David Hodge »

i'm glad i'm not the only one. it's killing me.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

I've gone as far as clicking on the "place bid" key and then reverting to the "back to item description" line at the very next moment. The voices are telling me to proceed.....they just won't stop. My wife is not amused, needless to say. Who needs a 401(k) when this is a far better investment?

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Rudy,

When I bought my 330 America, I didn't really have all the money, but there was enough in my 401K to do it. I could borrow against it, and pay myself back with interest at about 7.5%. From the advice of any financial advisor, it's probably not a good idea if you want to buid up a good nest egg, but it was the only way I could get that Ferrari. At the time, the Stock Market was booming, and people were making 10% or more return on their money, and there seemed no end in sight. The money I could earn was less important than than the Ferrari, so I took my money out.

Within a year, the dot com crash happened, and some of my co-workers lost almost half the value of their 401Ks. Even though I had lost some as well, the money I took out was spared from the loss. As all my friends cried about loosing their money, I was enjoying my "Ferrari Fridays" living out a dream.

The lesson? Money in the bank sometimes doesn't make you as happy as spending it on a dream!

Happy bidding!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

When I was looking at Ferraris, I had a home-equity loan all lined up in case I needed to jump before the cash became available. The purchase price cash got freed up before I found my car, and the upfront repairs, etc. came out of pocket.

Now seriously pricing Borrani and instrument restorations for this summer, as well as a garage lift, so I'm preparing to drop another chunk.

I would have used the home equity loan without hesitation.

FYI, I did finally add up all my receipts, and will post the total soon. Not as bad as I expected, by a very appreciable amount! My conscience and financial rationalization sense say go ahead on the wheels and instruments...

Rudy, you ought to buy it.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Interesting exhaust pipes...

Neat history, but if this is the car that was modified for track use and then put back to cosmetically presentible, I'd be worried. Things get beat up pretty fast in regular track use. I ended up rebuildining a lot of stuff after I got mine.

Regards,

Art S.

On the other hand, adding another America to the group would be cool!
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Guys, thank you all for your input and support regarding this car. My feeling is that if I don't do anything I will regret it forever. Investment wise it has to be better than a 401k. Plus, like Tom indicated, sometimes you have to live out your dream. My wife is actually starting to flex a tad.

"I'm all in"

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
lukek

Post by lukek »

I used a home equity loan to make up about 30 percent of the purchase price. I can now say that my home increased in value thanks to the Ferrari purchase.
While I think that it would be silly to get yourself in serious debt to get a toy, borrowing a little, and doing it smart, is not a bad idea. Life is short.
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
rleander

Condition

Post by rleander »

I too am seriously hooked on the thought of buying this one. Just what the NYC region needs, another 330 America. Anybody on the board actually seen this car or have info about its true condition?
Dave Fabiszak

Transmission

Post by Dave Fabiszak »

Greetings all,

I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd chime in here. I believe I have the original transmission for this car. I bought it from the seller of the car a few years ago as a spare. My transmission makes unhappy noises and will eventually have to come out. I thought it would be a good idea to have an extra one to swap in to avoid down time. As it turns out, I never got around to it and it's still sitting in the garage.

This is the transmission that was taken out of the car to put in the five speed. I can't say that it is the original one from new, but I would say that it is likely. You could ask the seller if he knows. I can go get the numbers on the case if anyone is interested.

Since I never installed it, I can't say how well it works. I was told it was working when removed and have no reason to doubt it. Everything seemed to operate smoothly when turning the input shaft by hand and fiddling with the shifter.

So there it is. Whoever buys the car can let me know if they are interested in it or if they want my contact information in order to keep track of it.

Dave Fabiszak
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Wow! Tom Yang's site might be responsible for putting a car back together.

Very cool first post Dave!

Cheers,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
william

Post by william »

The car up to 70,300. How high will it go?

I hope Rudy or someone from this site gets the car.

William
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Well, I got close to the winning bid on the 330 America but another bidder felt it was worth more than me at the very last minute. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks to everyone's support on this. Now, I see Heritage Classics has a new addition......hmmm.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Not a bad guess -- I was off $600.00 to the low end on the sale price.

Heritage Classics bought it? Well, if they did, it'll be up on their board in a few weeks for $125K asking.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409