showing cars

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

PETER GABRIEL

showing cars

Post by PETER GABRIEL »

Tom:

If everyone worried about how their cars stacked up against the others, very few people would show cars. Besides the car next to Kalikows might be better than his.
DBR330GT

Post by DBR330GT »

Tom, You should show it! I have done some judging and if the Concours is done properly then they will use IAC/PFA judging which means there can be multiple first places (platinum) as long as you have a 95 point car- you compete against yourself only. If you dont have a 95 point car you can still get a 2nd (gold-90 points) or 3rd (silver-85 points). While I have had national success with my 328 GTB, I do plan on showing my 330 regionally now and then, hoping to get something.

Show it, you will learn alot about your car!

Dan
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm really not too concerned with winning anything, but rather the level of my work compared to a car where no expense was spared (Kalikow's car). I know there is plenty of chrome on my car that could use some new plating, and paint chips that need fixing, but it's a little beyond my means. I know I just have to get over it!

The other major problem is the amount of things that still need to be done before I show the car! Here's the short list and hold ups:

1. Grille; need for The Panel Shop to finish it so I can get polishing. (a lot of time needed for polishing)

2. windshield wiper motor and switch; the motor is ready, but Joe Curto is still looking for replacement switch. I guess I could mount the old switch, and wipers, and hope no one tries to turn on the wipers. (you guys promise not to tell?)

3. Nose Badge; Black Bart says two weeks, but how many times have we heard that before. Shaughnessy said he had a spare, and I may have to borrow it until I get mine.

4. Other badging; need to pull the fender splash shields off to mount these badges.

5.Overdrive; I think I figured it out last weekend, but haven't been able to take her out for a test drive (rain), but I guess no one at a car show will know (again, can you keep a secret?)

6. Time; I'm taking a week off next week with the family, so I have even less time to work on the Ferrari.

So you see, I'll be pretty busy!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

They normally don't test wipers, since without water, the windshield could get scratched.

Paint chips from normal driving aren't supposed to be counted either. Ferraris are meant to be driven!

Go for it.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
PETER GABRIEL

showing cars

Post by PETER GABRIEL »

I've never been a big show guy, but, I think the great thing about a good show is, that one gets to see some great old cars. How many Ferrari fans have ever seen a 166 driving down the street.

And, they don't have to be concours. To me they look great even if they haven't been touched since they came out of the factory. Sometimes they are a lot more interesting if they haven't.
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

330GT wrote:They normally don't test wipers, since without water, the windshield could get scratched.

Paint chips from normal driving aren't supposed to be counted either. Ferraris are meant to be driven!

Go for it.
Do non-original colors with chips count against you?
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Deane

Post by Deane »

Non-original colors are generally OK, as long as the color looks like it came from the right period.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
tyang

Post by tyang »

And, they don't have to be concours. To me they look great even if they haven't been touched since they came out of the factory. Sometimes they are a lot more interesting if they haven't
Since my car was too far gone when I got it, I had to replace everything, but I'm looking forward to adding my own "patina" to my car!
Do non-original colors with chips count against you?
If you show the original color under the chip, I think it's only 1/2 point reduction! ;-)

Tom
Last edited by tyang on Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
'63 330 America #5053
Jim

Post by Jim »

Concerning paint colors: Though perhaps not common, a wealthy buyer could order custom colors (and, other details, I suppose). Thus "correct" colors become more problematic. IMHO, the quality of the paint work should be judged, but not the color. My experience at shows is that the judges are consistent about how rigid they are about correct color for the era.
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, as an FCA concours judge I have been asked many of these same questions during judging, and my personal take is that each car is to be judged against the standards of the FCA- most inportant is the origional build concepts. If a color is questioned and no proof either way as to what it was origionally then no points can be deducted. The only ding is if it is an obvious current mix. i.e. heavy metalic, candy apple colors etc. Now my take on let say a GTO and a 250GT2+2 side by side in a concours, and in the same class. Each car is judge on it's own merits and not against the other car. If the GTO has points off and the 2+2 does not, then the 2+2 wins; no question. The megabucks GTO owner may be upset, but the rules are clear on this. We established these rules to encourage participation, and not an ego contest! Concours are to be fun and a learning experience for all who particpate. Jim Riff
judge4re

Post by judge4re »

The windshield wipers do get tested. We used to put paper towels under the blades.

If you are going for a CBM award, everything gets tested...
365 GT4 2+2 (18759)
Mondial 8 (39343)
308 GTS QV (47071)