RTV silicone and other stuff

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

RTV silicone and other stuff

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike

First, I'd like to say how much I enjoy your website -it's one of the best!

Your comments about using too much silicone RTV reminded me of when I used to use it for sealing the rocker boxes on my old Triumph Bonneville. I was working at Rolls-Royce aero engines at the time, and one of the technicians told me a trick for getting a better seal: Smear a thin layer over one half of the joint, and then lay a thread round before putting the two halves together. This stops all the silicone being squeezed out, and helps the joint to last, particularly if there's any differential expansion between the two halves. It worked for me.

I have to admit that your website helped persuade me that I could not afford to run a Ferrari -I was thinking seriously about a 330GT 2+2, but having looked at a couple of "money pits" and reading about the cost and complexity of restoration, I bought a Gordon Keeble instead. It hasn't got the same ancestry as a Ferrari, but it is just as pretty, and I can use it regularly without worrying about the cost of an engine rebuild! You can see my car at GordonKeeble.com -it's number 6 in the registry.

Regards

Mike

wwwboard

Re: RTV silicone and other stuff

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tom

Mike,

When you say "Lay a thread around" I'm not sure I get what you mean. Can you clarify?

Thanks for checking out the site, and your compliments!

I have to admit, I've never heard about Gordon Keeble. You learn something new everyday! A lot of the lines on your Gordon Keeble remind me the lines on a 330 2+2. Very nice car.

Tom

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

Sorry I didn't explain it better. Just take some normal sewing thread (silk is supposed to be best, but I've used cotton or polyester), and lay a single thread all the way round the perimeter of the joint, going around the inside of any bolt holes. Try and keep half way across the joint surface, and overlap a little at the end. Make sure there is enough silicone to fill the joint, but not so much that a lot squeezes out. Then put the joint together. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the nice comments about the Gordon Keeble. I'm not surprised you hadn't heard of it -they only made 99, and it was never exported to the US. I think there are a few over there now, though.

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

Sorry I didn't explain it better. Just take some normal sewing thread (silk is supposed to be best, but I've used cotton or polyester), and lay a single thread all the way round the perimeter of the joint, going around the inside of any bolt holes. Try and keep half way across the joint surface, and overlap a little at the end. Make sure there is enough silicone to fill the joint, but not so much that a lot squeezes out. Then put the joint together. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the nice comments about the Gordon Keeble. I'm not surprised you hadn't heard of it -they only made 99, and it was never exported to the US. I think there are a few over there now, though.

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tom

I've always liked the idea of reliable American engines fitted inside other bodies. Another car that comes to mind is the Iso Griffo (sp?)

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tom

I've always liked the idea of reliable American engines fitted inside other bodies. Another car that comes to mind is the Iso Griffo (sp?)

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tom

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike

Yes, I've lusted after one of those since I was a kid. Fabulous styling, but unfortunately only two seats, which makes it unsuitable for me. I've also read that the steering is a bit dodgy -five turns lock to lock! They also rust, of course unlike the G-K.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike

Yes, I've lusted after one of those since I was a kid. Fabulous styling, but unfortunately only two seats, which makes it unsuitable for me. I've also read that the steering is a bit dodgy -five turns lock to lock! They also rust, of course unlike the G-K.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Everything Rusts! Tell me one car out there that doesn't rust? Even corvettes with fiberglass bodies have frame rust, and when you go with Aluminum you have another chemical reaction between dissimilar metals! You can't win!

The newer cars have less water traps, and galvanized steel, so they're a little better, but who wants to collect something new?...let alone work on one!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Everything Rusts! Tell me one car out there that doesn't rust? Even corvettes with fiberglass bodies have frame rust, and when you go with Aluminum you have another chemical reaction between dissimilar metals! You can't win!

The newer cars have less water traps, and galvanized steel, so they're a little better, but who wants to collect something new?...let alone work on one!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom