Old rubber drive link???

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Old rubber drive link???

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by ChrisR

Alfas also have rubber doughnuts. And I was always told to replace them before the service interval and to never reuse them. I know that the Alfa's doughtnut was like 40 or 50 dollars. I wonder how much they cost for ferrari's.
wwwboard

Re: Old rubber drive link???

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Chris,

I quickly looked up one of the Ferrari suppliers who list prices online and came up with $320 bucks for the part! I knew there was a reason to try and re-use this part!

For those wondering what we're talking about:
http://www.tomyang.com/cars/ferrari121.htm

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by ChrisR

$320 is a lot, but rubber becomes brittle with age. You checked with Francios right? Just a bit of advice. How close are you to completing the car? Is the interior ready yet?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by ChrisR

$320 is a lot, but rubber becomes brittle with age. You checked with Francios right? Just a bit of advice. How close are you to completing the car? Is the interior ready yet?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

The plan is to get the fuel and brake lines done, install the engine/transmission, compress the springs, and bolt together the suspension. Then the car will be mobile, and I can trailer the car down to the upholsterer where work can be done on the carpeting, and door panels! I don't see moving the car until early next year.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

The plan is to get the fuel and brake lines done, install the engine/transmission, compress the springs, and bolt together the suspension. Then the car will be mobile, and I can trailer the car down to the upholsterer where work can be done on the carpeting, and door panels! I don't see moving the car until early next year.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Adam

In reference to the rubber doughnut, from the photos it appear similar to those used on Alfas. I can speak from experience that replacement is not neccessary if it is in good condition, ie. no cracks etc.. A small hint though. These doughnuts when new are supplied with a big strap/band around the perimeter to keep the rubber compressed. They are installed with strap still in place and once installed the strap is cut and removed. My local Alfa guru pointed out that to reuse the doughnut, life is made a lot easier by winding some wire around the perimeter (just like the original strap)before removing it from the drive shaft. That way all that holes line up easily when the time comes to slip it back on.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Adam

In reference to the rubber doughnut, from the photos it appear similar to those used on Alfas. I can speak from experience that replacement is not neccessary if it is in good condition, ie. no cracks etc.. A small hint though. These doughnuts when new are supplied with a big strap/band around the perimeter to keep the rubber compressed. They are installed with strap still in place and once installed the strap is cut and removed. My local Alfa guru pointed out that to reuse the doughnut, life is made a lot easier by winding some wire around the perimeter (just like the original strap)before removing it from the drive shaft. That way all that holes line up easily when the time comes to slip it back on.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Adam

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Adam,

Good advice! Too bad the previous owner didn't follow this tip when they took everything apart! I got my bolt holes to line up by using good old sweat and grunt!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Adam,

Good advice! Too bad the previous owner didn't follow this tip when they took everything apart! I got my bolt holes to line up by using good old sweat and grunt!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Adam,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

Tom,
Many european cars use those rubber drive links or "guibos" as they're called. I wonder if some other, ahem, less pedigreed vehicle used the same link as your Ferrari? If so, I'll bet it would cost a lot less than $320.00. (The ones for my BMW 2002 and my Alfa are well under $100.00.)

Colin
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

Tom,
Many european cars use those rubber drive links or "guibos" as they're called. I wonder if some other, ahem, less pedigreed vehicle used the same link as your Ferrari? If so, I'll bet it would cost a lot less than $320.00. (The ones for my BMW 2002 and my Alfa are well under $100.00.)

Colin