330 GT 2+2

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 330 GT 2+2

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Mike and Tom,

I am excited to hear other peoples comments on an 'incorrect car'. Please don't get me wrong, I mean in no way shape or form to offend the purist with a cut up car. I just think that it might be a way for a young guy (such as myself) to get into a Ferrari.
As I keep my options open, and debate between the idea of owning a true Ferrari, versus a project car (that without a V-8 would be too costly to make roadworthy)I feel that I must remain open minded...well let's just say that they both have their positive and negative points.
Tom has been very insightfulin giving me advise, and sharing his ideas and expertise. Mike, I have had the opportunity to look at the Gordon Keeble as I saw the address for the web site on a previous entry that you had made on this site. It looks great, and the lines are indeed similiar to those on a 330 GT.
I hate to abandon a dream and let the pleasures of being a Ferrari owner pass me by. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for these cars, and I would truly like to own one, be it a Gennie, or a Bastard.
Coincidently, a friend of mine has a 914 with a 375 Horse Chev V-8. Granted this is not the caliber of car that a Ferrari is, but it seems to be received quite well by all. (It's for sale too...)
Mike, are there a lot of Gordon's in the US?

Matt

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Mike and Tom,

I am excited to hear other peoples comments on an 'incorrect car'. Please don't get me wrong, I mean in no way shape or form to offend the purist with a cut up car. I just think that it might be a way for a young guy (such as myself) to get into a Ferrari.
As I keep my options open, and debate between the idea of owning a true Ferrari, versus a project car (that without a V-8 would be too costly to make roadworthy)I feel that I must remain open minded...well let's just say that they both have their positive and negative points.
Tom has been very insightfulin giving me advise, and sharing his ideas and expertise. Mike, I have had the opportunity to look at the Gordon Keeble as I saw the address for the web site on a previous entry that you had made on this site. It looks great, and the lines are indeed similiar to those on a 330 GT.
I hate to abandon a dream and let the pleasures of being a Ferrari owner pass me by. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for these cars, and I would truly like to own one, be it a Gennie, or a Bastard.
Coincidently, a friend of mine has a 914 with a 375 Horse Chev V-8. Granted this is not the caliber of car that a Ferrari is, but it seems to be received quite well by all. (It's for sale too...)

Matt

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Mike and Tom,

Matt

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Mike and Tom,

Matt

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Yeah Matt,
I have been looking at 330's for the last year and all the ones with non-Ferrari engines seem like beaters. I couldn't really imagine enjoying a car like that when you can get an Iso for about 12,000 and have a really cool car with it's own sub-culture and an easy to maintain US engine. Also along that route are well gone over Maserati's, these come in a range of prices most less then all the similar Ferrari's. Having never owned a Maserati I don't know how difficult this up keep would be, probably a bit less then a Ferrari due to less cylanders. Also you can look at the 70's era Aston Martins, or Jensens. These are also well priced. Go to www.autotraderonline.com, or Hemmings.com. Tons to choose from all over the country.
Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Yeah Matt,
I have been looking at 330's for the last year and all the ones with non-Ferrari engines seem like beaters. I couldn't really imagine enjoying a car like that when you can get an Iso for about 12,000 and have a really cool car with it's own sub-culture and an easy to maintain US engine. Also along that route are well gone over Maserati's, these come in a range of prices most less then all the similar Ferrari's. Having never owned a Maserati I don't know how difficult this up keep would be, probably a bit less then a Ferrari due to less cylanders. Also you can look at the 70's era Aston Martins, or Jensens. These are also well priced. Go to www.autotraderonline.com, or Hemmings.com. Tons to choose from all over the country.
Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Yeah Matt,
Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Yeah Matt,
Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Matt,

It's not an easy decision. If your pleasure is in driving, there is a lot to be said for a car with sound mechanicals but a beat-up body. Cheaper to buy, and you worry much less about scratching the paint! Remember, you don't see the outside when you're driving! My biggest disappointments have been so called "show" cars, which because they are not used on the road regularly can be horrible to drive.

With regard to G-K's in the US, the most recent list I have is July '98. At that time, no 5 was in Plano, Texas, no 13 in New York, no 23 in Vicksburg MS, no 47 in Youngstown Ohio, nos 56 & 82 in Sunrise FL, no 61 in santa Fe CA and no 73 in Escondido CA. There were also a couple in Canada. Ownership may have changed since.

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Matt,

It's not an easy decision. If your pleasure is in driving, there is a lot to be said for a car with sound mechanicals but a beat-up body. Cheaper to buy, and you worry much less about scratching the paint! Remember, you don't see the outside when you're driving! My biggest disappointments have been so called "show" cars, which because they are not used on the road regularly can be horrible to drive.

With regard to G-K's in the US, the most recent list I have is July '98. At that time, no 5 was in Plano, Texas, no 13 in New York, no 23 in Vicksburg MS, no 47 in Youngstown Ohio, nos 56 & 82 in Sunrise FL, no 61 in santa Fe CA and no 73 in Escondido CA. There were also a couple in Canada. Ownership may have changed since.

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Matt,

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Matt,

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

Matt,
During the '60s-80s, there were lots of really cool Italian and British cars with American V8s. These include the Iso Grifo and Rivolta, Jensen Interceptor (with a 440 Chrysler, no less!), TVR Griffon, and even the Triumph TR-8. While these examples vary wildly in value, cost, etc., they all afford the opportunity to have a European sports car with American ease of maintenance and low operating cost. On the other hand, as Tom has hinted, a Ferrari engine is very expensive to overhaul, but no more mysterious than any other engine. With proper maintenance, an old Ferrari will be as reliable as any other '60s car, and almost as reliable as a modern car. Maintenance and repairs are the same as any other car; once you are familiar with the procedures, they become routine. If you can maintain a Mustang with a 289, you can maintain a Ferrari. Good Luck!
Colin
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

Matt,
During the '60s-80s, there were lots of really cool Italian and British cars with American V8s. These include the Iso Grifo and Rivolta, Jensen Interceptor (with a 440 Chrysler, no less!), TVR Griffon, and even the Triumph TR-8. While these examples vary wildly in value, cost, etc., they all afford the opportunity to have a European sports car with American ease of maintenance and low operating cost. On the other hand, as Tom has hinted, a Ferrari engine is very expensive to overhaul, but no more mysterious than any other engine. With proper maintenance, an old Ferrari will be as reliable as any other '60s car, and almost as reliable as a modern car. Maintenance and repairs are the same as any other car; once you are familiar with the procedures, they become routine. If you can maintain a Mustang with a 289, you can maintain a Ferrari. Good Luck!
Colin
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

Matt,
Colin