330 GT 2+2

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

330 GT 2+2

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Tom,

Again I wish to thank you for taking the time to give me a few pointers of the pro's and con's of owning an older Ferari. As a young person in the frozen tundra of Minnesota with a strong automotive backround, but with few eurpoean car recources, owning a true piece of automotive history such as a Ferrari would be challenging. Tom and I has spoken about people who have cut up these cars with Chevy V-8's. I had inquired to Tom about the possibly of converting one of these cars myself (Sadly, a car that would be far too costly to refurbish as a 'gennie'). Anybody out there know of car that has already been converted?
When Tom put into perspective what it takes to properly tune and maintain an original car, I fear that my experiences with american iron will fall short.

Matt
wwwboard

Re: 330 GT 2+2

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Matt,

Don't underestimate yourself! If you find a good solid Ferrari, and a competent Ferrari mechanic tunes it, basic maintenance will keep it running fine.

My other concern is public acceptance of your "bastard" car. Chevy guys will always think of your car as a "Ferrin' car," and the Ferrari guys will think you've lost the heart and soul of what makes a Ferrari. It's almost like you've gained the worst of both worlds!

Don't get me wrong, I love ALL cars, for what each have to offer, but mixing and matching always seem to come up short.

Just my opinion.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Tom,

You make A very, very valid point. If only I had a Francois here In Minnesota! I agree that it would be in my best interest to procure a genuine car. I am hesitant stirctly due to the fact that parts are difficult to come by, maintenance is spendy, and as you had mentioned in a previous entry, a tail light gasket set is a hundred bucks!
If I were to purchase a complete car, I would be looking for a turn key machine. One that would be maybe be a bit 'faded', or perhaps an older restoration. If I found a basket case that was missing many components, then I would lean towards a project car/Chevy V8. Please don't consider this a case of indecisiveness, but know that I am a firm believer that flexibility is key when dealing with such a rare item.
Unfortunately, Ferraris don't seem to be to common 'round these here parts. I see the occasional vintage car, a few 308 (style) cars, and once in a while I see tail lights from an F355. There are one or maybe two local shops capable of working on these things. Who can a guy trust to do major surgery to one of these cars?

Matt
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Tom,

You make A very, very valid point. If only I had a Francois here In Minnesota! I agree that it would be in my best interest to procure a genuine car. I am hesitant stirctly due to the fact that parts are difficult to come by, maintenance is spendy, and as you had mentioned in a previous entry, a tail light gasket set is a hundred bucks!
If I were to purchase a complete car, I would be looking for a turn key machine. One that would be maybe be a bit 'faded', or perhaps an older restoration. If I found a basket case that was missing many components, then I would lean towards a project car/Chevy V8. Please don't consider this a case of indecisiveness, but know that I am a firm believer that flexibility is key when dealing with such a rare item.
Unfortunately, Ferraris don't seem to be to common 'round these here parts. I see the occasional vintage car, a few 308 (style) cars, and once in a while I see tail lights from an F355. There are one or maybe two local shops capable of working on these things. Who can a guy trust to do major surgery to one of these cars?

Matt
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Matt,

Francois has customers from all over the country, but most often from this side of the country. I often see cars with Maine, NH, and OH plates on them in his shop.

I'm not saying you have to use Francois, but travel across state lines for major work is not out of the question. Once the major stuff is fixed, simple upkeep can be handled by any competent mechanic.

I often hear the guys on "Car Talk" telling owners of vintage cars to take them to the oldest mechanic in their town. They are often the guys that posess the skills needed to care for an old Ferrari. Old Mercedes mechanics also have the same skills to treat an old Ferrari with the right kind of care.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Matt,

Francois has customers from all over the country, but most often from this side of the country. I often see cars with Maine, NH, and OH plates on them in his shop.

I'm not saying you have to use Francois, but travel across state lines for major work is not out of the question. Once the major stuff is fixed, simple upkeep can be handled by any competent mechanic.

I often hear the guys on "Car Talk" telling owners of vintage cars to take them to the oldest mechanic in their town. They are often the guys that posess the skills needed to care for an old Ferrari. Old Mercedes mechanics also have the same skills to treat an old Ferrari with the right kind of care.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Matt,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Matt,

I think if you want to put a V8 in a Ferrari, you risk losing the magic that makes it special. I tend to agree with Tom -putting a V8 in a Ferrari gets you the worst of both worlds. If you want an Italian styled car of 60's vintage, but with American V8 power, why not do as I did and regretfully abandon Ferrari ownership, but console yourself with a pretty good substitute that comes as standard with a Chevy V8 -yes, a Gordon Keeble! They're very robust, cheaper to buy and much cheaper to own, but I would argue are at least as pretty as a 330 GT. The biggest downside is no-one's ever heard of them. You can see my car at www.gordonkeeble.com -its number 6 in the register. If you want to know any more about G-K ownership drop me a line. (Apologies, Tom, for trying to hijack a potential ferraristi!)

Another alternative might be an Iso Grifo?

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Matt,

I think if you want to put a V8 in a Ferrari, you risk losing the magic that makes it special. I tend to agree with Tom -putting a V8 in a Ferrari gets you the worst of both worlds. If you want an Italian styled car of 60's vintage, but with American V8 power, why not do as I did and regretfully abandon Ferrari ownership, but console yourself with a pretty good substitute that comes as standard with a Chevy V8 -yes, a Gordon Keeble! They're very robust, cheaper to buy and much cheaper to own, but I would argue are at least as pretty as a 330 GT. The biggest downside is no-one's ever heard of them. You can see my car at www.gordonkeeble.com -its number 6 in the register. If you want to know any more about G-K ownership drop me a line. (Apologies, Tom, for trying to hijack a potential ferraristi!)

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Matt,

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Matt,

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Mike,

Don't worry about taking away a potential Ferrari owner. I own other cars that I love to drive for their own special reasons. The American V-8 is a great engine, and that is the reason it has often been installed in cars like the Cobra, Tiger, Iso, GK, and even Facels, but Ferraris are Ferraris because of their engines.

If resurecting one requires an engine swap then I support it, but just be aware of the emotional dilemas of a "bastard" car.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Mike,

Don't worry about taking away a potential Ferrari owner. I own other cars that I love to drive for their own special reasons. The American V-8 is a great engine, and that is the reason it has often been installed in cars like the Cobra, Tiger, Iso, GK, and even Facels, but Ferraris are Ferraris because of their engines.

If resurecting one requires an engine swap then I support it, but just be aware of the emotional dilemas of a "bastard" car.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Mike,

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Mike,