250GTE

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

250GTE

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Tom,
Thanks for the advice to go to your message board, it looks great.
I am in the process of restoring a 250GTE. Your ongoing saga gives me inspiration. Thanks.
Anyone else out there as crazy as me?
I need some help deciding what color to paint it. It was origionally silverblue, not for me. It was repainted in the earily seventies white, thats okay.
On the internet I have seen a red one, that looked great.
How important is it to have the car painted the way it was built? It seems to me as long as you paint the car a color that was avaible then that it would be okay.
Thanks, Tony
wwwboard

Re: 250GTE

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Tony,

I've seen a lot of Ferraris painted a different color than what Pininfarina painted them at the factory, and it doesn't seem to affect them as much in price as say a Mustang. However, original parts, and correct pieces seem to make much more a difference in resale.

I own a '72 911 that was originally painted that '70s lime green color. Although anything from the seventies is "in" right now, I couldn't bear the idea of driving around in such a garish color!

I find the best way to decide is to see a car painted in that color in person. Some cars also look better in the same color than others. It's combination with its interior also makes a big difference. What's the interior color of your car?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Tom,
The interior of the car was light blue and dyed black. I am taking out the dash ayway so I wil be able to match the outside color. I plan to re-dye the interior black and redo at another time.
I read that someone was looking into buying an older Ferrari. Although I am a novice to Ferrari restoration, I think that any one who has a good mecanical background (gearhead) cam do most of the work.It is a challange but with the help of things like this and manuals and clubs for resources you should be able to be sucessful.
I know that somethings need to be done by a Ferrari shop, such as engine rebuild.
Tony
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tony,

I'm sure you realize how much needs to be taken apart to repaint the dash, so choose your color wisely! The steering column cover, windshield trim strips, along with the dashboard will need to be painted. The dash is made up of a bunch of seaprate pieces, and are basically pop-rivited together. LABEL EVERYTHING! It took me a month to figure out my under dash wiring!

A black interior will go with just about any color you choose.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Tom,
Thanks for your advice about the dash. I was looking at it today and will be removing it next week. I did realize that I had to paint those other pieces body color to do the job write. The are a few more interior parts that have to be body color. Door panel and rear quarter trim along with the devider between the front and rear window. Speaking of that I am going to be three point seat belts in the front and rear of the car. I know this may hurt the value some but safety is important to me. My boys will be ridding with me.
Last summer I had my 5 year old son with me and we were returning from a car show. We were in my cobra, the rear wheel blew apart, we did a 360 and ended up on the guard rail. Neither of us were hurt. I had racing harness and used them all the time. The car was a total loss.
After that experence I made a decision that I would never build or restore a car without installing seat belts.
By the way did you run out all the wires under dash?Do you need any help? When I pull mine next week I will be making a crude sketch, along with various pictures. I can send you a set if you wish.
Tony