Heater Cables, etc.

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Heater Cables, etc.

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

Tom,

If your heater cables have a solid, not stranded, core a bicycle shop probably won't be able to help you. You can't push with a stranded core! You could try cutting down a universal choke cable, as supplied by Summit, Jegs etc. Otherwise, buy some teflon lined outer cable from the bicycle shop, and piano wire from the hardware store.

For cutting holes in trim, I've found nothing beats a surgical scalpel. Much sharper than an xacto, and you can get a very narrow blade, which makes getting round tight turns easier.
wwwboard

Re: Heater Cables, etc.

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by TOm

Mike,

You're right, Bicycle cable is stranded! I always thought it was solid core for the shifter cables!

I looked at the choke cable available from Jegs, but it isn't black vinyl wrapped like the Ferrari's. I guess I'll keep looking.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

it doesn't help you, but the strange thing about shifter cables is the outer -instead of having a coiled steel sheath, the outer consists of longitudinal strands of wire, held together by the vinyl wrap. I guess it ensures that the effective length stays constant, so that index gears stay in sync. Anyway,if you get some regular vinyl wrap outer from the bike shop, piano wire, or even hard stainless steel wire should make you an inner.

I get a lot of my hardware from a mail order distributor in the UK called RadioSpares -they used to just do electronics, but now do almost anything. I've noticed in the past you have struggled to find metric fasteners etc. Take a look at the RS web site, they have it all. I don't know if they ship to the US, but I have seen equivalent suppliers catalogues who are US based, just can't remember the names!
RS online catalogue
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

it doesn't help you, but the strange thing about shifter cables is the outer -instead of having a coiled steel sheath, the outer consists of longitudinal strands of wire, held together by the vinyl wrap. I guess it ensures that the effective length stays constant, so that index gears stay in sync. Anyway,if you get some regular vinyl wrap outer from the bike shop, piano wire, or even hard stainless steel wire should make you an inner.

I get a lot of my hardware from a mail order distributor in the UK called RadioSpares -they used to just do electronics, but now do almost anything. I've noticed in the past you have struggled to find metric fasteners etc. Take a look at the RS web site, they have it all. I don't know if they ship to the US, but I have seen equivalent suppliers catalogues who are US based, just can't remember the names!
RS online catalogue