ColorTune works!

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

ColorTune works!

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

Tried out that ColorTune to set up the idle in my 330 - its worked!  I was warned by others it would be difficult to use precisely in the presence of oxygenated gas.  This was perhaps true - I think with oxygenated gas, setting up for clear "bunsen" blue flame rather than the slight yellow (rich) tinge gives a better idle.

Anyway, it's cool to see what's happening in those cylinders.  The occasional miss fires as a yellow flame on the next power stroke.

My carbs are now set up much better than they were without the ColorTune - it you can't measure something, it's hard to adjust!

Some other folks said a better way is to use a CO meter on each header pipe, installing ports using some kind of quick-nut tool from Snap-on.  Could be!  But I'm pretty happy to finally have a nice idle.
wwwboard

Re: ColorTune works!

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Deanne,

I'm glad it worked for a good idle, but what about the rest of the rpm range?

I'd run the car a bit on this setting and pull the plugs to see how the mixture is burning. Hopefully, you'll find that nice brown color on the plugs.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

Off idle, you can see the mixture enrich with the shots from the accelerator pump.  I didn't go too far with the throttle - I've read of exploding ColorTunes when someone forgot and drove off with it still installed.  With my face in the immediate neighborhood, caution prevailed!

The accelerator pump shot is pretty easy to debug just looking down the barrels with the engine off, of course.  You can get a little into the progression circuit with the Colortune - I think if I was dyno tuning the car, and didn't have a problem with a particular cylinder, an exhaust analyzer would work better off-idle.  

But for getting the idle circuit set up, an STE synchrometer and a Colortune seem to be a good set of tools.

My "old" plugs with a couple hundred miles on them looked tan.  A few of them looked slightly pink - got to go look up what that means.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

Off idle, you can see the mixture enrich with the shots from the accelerator pump.  I didn't go too far with the throttle - I've read of exploding ColorTunes when someone forgot and drove off with it still installed.  With my face in the immediate neighborhood, caution prevailed!

The accelerator pump shot is pretty easy to debug just looking down the barrels with the engine off, of course.  You can get a little into the progression circuit with the Colortune - I think if I was dyno tuning the car, and didn't have a problem with a particular cylinder, an exhaust analyzer would work better off-idle.  

But for getting the idle circuit set up, an STE synchrometer and a Colortune seem to be a good set of tools.

My "old" plugs with a couple hundred miles on them looked tan.  A few of them looked slightly pink - got to go look up what that means.
wwwboard

wehre can i buy this STE Synchrometer

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by ELDSON WONG

Dear Sir this is eldson , I would like to know where can I buy for this synchrometer , I prefer online seller , kindly tell me more about this as i need it for my Porche engine setting thk.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by ELDSON WONG

Dear Sir this is eldson , I would like to know where can I buy for this synchrometer , I prefer online seller , kindly tell me more about this as i need it for my Porche engine setting thk.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by ELDSON WONG

wwwboard

Re: wehre can i buy this STE Synchrometer

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

You could try Pierce Manifolds:

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/accessories.htm

You probably want the STESK, they may also have an adapter which will make it fit your carbs if your barrels aren't round or have choke plates which block the synchrometer's soft rubber tip.

Synchrometers and adapters are hard to find online.  You'll probably have to telephone Pierce.  They're probably the best in the US for Weber parts and service, too.

Deane
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

You probably want the STESK, they may also have an adapter which will make it fit your carbs if your barrels aren't round or have choke plates which block the synchrometer's soft rubber tip.

Synchrometers and adapters are hard to find online.  You'll probably have to telephone Pierce.  They're probably the best in the US for Weber parts and service, too.

Deane
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Deane
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Try http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/sho ... l_main.htm
or www.Pelicanparts.com

They'll have all the online parts for your Porsche.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

or www.Pelicanparts.com

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

or www.Pelicanparts.com

Tom &nbsp