Black oxide finish?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Black oxide finish?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

Anybody out there have experience with black oxide finishes?  My black oxide underhood hardware (lobo bolts, throttle linkage) is starting to corrode a little.  I've read that black oxide really isn't a viable finish for for exposed use, but there it is, in the engine compartment.

Is the hot black oxide commercial process worth tracking down?  Can I get away with a cold-process chemical kit from Eastwood, etc??

Any black-oxide preservation tricks?
wwwboard

Re: Black oxide finish?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

I saw a report on these 'cold' black oxide kits in the classic car mags and they reckoned it was very good. Sorry I can't recall which mag this was.

There is also a nickel finish that I saw being demonstrated at some classic car shows (by a German company, as I recall) that looked impressive.

I must say that personally I haven't used any of these though.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Lance Hill

Deane, black oxide was the predominant preservation finish used by Ferrari. It is cheap and durable when done correctly. I have observed 1940s &'50s fastners and parts that remain as black and uncorroded as the day they were done.
Please, guys, the cars deserve to be preserved with the identical finishes they came with, it's a responsibility of ownership of these special cars. For the best black oxide plating, just look in your local yellow pages and try to narrow it to a custom plater who (also) does aircraft or aircraft-quality black oxide plating.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

Lance,

Point taken!  Fortunately, the area where I live has an nice mix of lingering old industrial & new high-tech plating shops - I should be able to find someone to work with for black oxide nearby.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

Lance,

Point taken!  Fortunately, the area where I live has an nice mix of lingering old industrial & new high-tech plating shops - I should be able to find someone to work with for black oxide nearby.