Tip on wrinkle painting

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Tip on wrinkle painting

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

A note that might be useful to somebody out there:

After struggling with black wrinkle painting my exhaust header heat shields (strip, paint, curse, strip again, paint, curse, get help) I took them to a well-respected local painter of old Ferraris, who said that I'd done about as good as job as could be expected, and that he could do no better.

One trick: after painting with store-bought shiny black wrinkle paint, overcoat with a couple of thin coats of black satin to dull the gloss down.  This tends to hide variations in wrinkle direction, providing a more even appearance that is closer to the original look.

Also, while laying on those thick coats of wrinkle paint, if you get a run, you can brush it out before the paint sets up with a brush dampened in MEK.  You'll never see the brush marks in the finished product.  It's hard enough to put the wrinkle paint on those deeply curved surfaces without runs.

I tried both Plasti-Coat and PJ1 (made for PJ1 by VHT?) brand paints.  They applied with about the same ease.  The PJ1 product which I ended up using claims 500F heat resistance, unlike the Plasti-coat.  We'll see!

wwwboard

Re: Tip on wrinkle painting

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Deane,

At least you've got these exhaust shields to paint! I'll have to make a set from scratch before I even think about painting them!

Tom
wwwboard

Re: Heat Shields

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Mine are nicely hammered into cool double-curved shapes. They look like you'd have to know what your're doing with a hammer and dolly on aluminum.  Are yours any less complex?  I'd definitely find a metal guy to make a set before trying it myself!
wwwboard

Re: Heat Shields

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Mine are nicely hammered into cool double-curved shapes. They look like you'd have to know what your're doing with a hammer and dolly on aluminum.  Are yours any less complex?  I'd definitely find a metal guy to make a set before trying it myself!