330 GT 2+2 market values

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

330 GT 2+2 market values

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Michael

I'm curious about current market values for a Series II, 330GT 2+2.  For the sake of clarity, let's say 4 different conditions:

a) recent cosmetic and mechanical restoration, superb condition, nothing needed
b) decade or so old restoration, nice shape but in need of attention, though no major mechanical problems
c) unrestored, original condition or old restoration, with some mechanical problems (undetermined, of course...but possible partial rebuild required)
d) unrestored, original condition, but in need of engine rebuild and cosmetic restoration

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

wwwboard

Re: 330 GT 2+2 market values

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Michael,

Market values are so subjective! Everyone's got an opinion, so there's no difinitive answer, but I can give you my opinion for what it's worth!

The "a" category; perfect, needing nothing can be very expensive. $60K+ considering a fresh 100 point restoration can easily cost over $100K, you can see why there is a premium for these cars

The "b" category; older restoration, needing freshening, can start at $40K and reach the low end of the previous category depending on how much "freshing" it needs.

The "c" category can vary greatly from mid $20K to $40K depending on what the owner thinks he's got. If an engine rebuild will easily cost $20K and other mechanicals will cost an easy $10K, How can you spend more than $30K and have a car that will fall into the "b" category that still needs another $10-20K in paint, and $10-20K for upholstery and misc. stuff to be in the "a" catagory?

The "d" category sounds very similar to the "c" group, and falls at the low end of the price range.

Buying old Ferraris is very similar to any other old car, only the risks are higher. Have the car checked out by a third party mechanic, buy the best you can afford, prepare for the worst, and hope for the best! If it were any easier, EVERYONE would own a Ferrari!

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

A ten year old $100,000 restoration "The Cavalino Car" sold at auction for 56,000 last month in New York. There is, an unseen by me, supposedly well cared for, engine rebuilt at some time car in FML that was 49,000 last month and now going for 52,000 this month. Heritage Classics in L.A. sold one for 38,000 three months ago that was restored at home, the Tom Yang way, (but not as meticulosly) after only listing it for a week or so. These are all four headlight cars (the ones I care about). Heritage also has a duo light car (one owner, I think) for 48,000. They have a web site and Edward there seems pleasant to talk to.

Also Carclassic.com has a whole mess of cars but they don't actually seem to have many of them (listing the four headlight Heritage Classics car for instance even after it was sold.)

Sometimes Traderonline has cars. They are often in the $30's are but are usually in suspect shape.

And  then there is of course Hemmings.com.
Best Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

A ten year old $100,000 restoration "The Cavalino Car" sold at auction for 56,000 last month in New York. There is, an unseen by me, supposedly well cared for, engine rebuilt at some time car in FML that was 49,000 last month and now going for 52,000 this month. Heritage Classics in L.A. sold one for 38,000 three months ago that was restored at home, the Tom Yang way, (but not as meticulosly) after only listing it for a week or so. These are all four headlight cars (the ones I care about). Heritage also has a duo light car (one owner, I think) for 48,000. They have a web site and Edward there seems pleasant to talk to.

Also Carclassic.com has a whole mess of cars but they don't actually seem to have many of them (listing the four headlight Heritage Classics car for instance even after it was sold.)

Sometimes Traderonline has cars. They are often in the $30's are but are usually in suspect shape.

And  then there is of course Hemmings.com.
Best Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

The 330 2+2 in Texas is back on Ebaymotors.com again. Where will the bidding stall at this time?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

The 330 2+2 in Texas is back on Ebaymotors.com again. Where will the bidding stall at this time?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Michael

First, thank you very much for the information, I appreciate it.  Second, do you know anything about this car (the eBay car)?  According to your estimated values, the bidding shouldn't stall, but  rather it should sell easily in the $40s at minimum, no?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Michael

First, thank you very much for the information, I appreciate it.  Second, do you know anything about this car (the eBay car)?  According to your estimated values, the bidding shouldn't stall, but  rather it should sell easily in the $40s at minimum, no?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Michael

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Michael,

Some things in the pictures make me question what kind of shape the engine is in. Not taking the care to use the correct yellow fuel lines, and painting the air cleaner assembly makes me wonder what else has been neglected in its care. Now I agree these are nit picking things, but if I expect to get top dollar for the car, wouldn't I spend a little of money and time to make the car look its best?

Unfortunately with these cars, 69,000 miles is where a lot of things can go wrong with an engine. Some do better than others, but a thorough inspection would help relieve these fears.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Michael,

Some things in the pictures make me question what kind of shape the engine is in. Not taking the care to use the correct yellow fuel lines, and painting the air cleaner assembly makes me wonder what else has been neglected in its care. Now I agree these are nit picking things, but if I expect to get top dollar for the car, wouldn't I spend a little of money and time to make the car look its best?

Unfortunately with these cars, 69,000 miles is where a lot of things can go wrong with an engine. Some do better than others, but a thorough inspection would help relieve these fears.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Michael,

Tom
wwwboard

Re: 330 GT 2+2 market values (long)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Michael, Tom,

I believe the 330 sn 8705 on Ebay used to belong to Harold Pace, who was a frequent poster to the Ferrari List in the early days (quick archive search on my part).  From what I could tell, he seemed knowlegable about it's upkeep, so one fuel hose isn't too worrying.  As Simon Randy pointed out, a car that has been driven and maintained can be in good shape at higher miles than one that has just sat (like mine), although there is a lot on 330s which need TLC to last a long time.  Caveat Empor.

From a Sept 97 post:

My 330 is for sale. It is a very clean daily driver, Series II, black with
red interior. It has 67,000 miles and was cosmetically restored in 1989
during the frenzy (owner turned down $89,000 - big mistake). I have receipts
of all work and shots of work in progress. Paint is excellent with only one
tiny chip on the nose. Has air (needs Freon), pw but no ps. Wire wheels are
polished but not rebuilt. New Dunlop tires (not original size - wider and a
little shorter). Has finished 2nd in last four shows in front-engine Ferrari
class. For national-level concourse you would need: Tool kit. Manual. Rebuild
wheels. Original size tires. Dome light lens for interior. Finish detailing
bottom of car.
Engine and trunk are detailed. Interior is excellent, with original seat
covers and perfect headliner and wood dash. All gauges work except clock.
Becker Europa AM/FM. New carpets and weather stripping. New exhaust system.
No smoke. New clutch 1989 (approx. 700 miles since all major work). Brian
Cashion has seen/driven car...see what he thinks if you are interested. Or
let me know and I will send photos. Car will be featured in Automobile
Quarterly article on Ferrari touring cars in upcoming edition. Price
$46,000/trade for 328GTS or 246 Dino.
Harold Pace
pacecars@aol.com

I am not involved in selling this one in any way - I just would like to see more on the road than in showrooms.

Jon
More Info at Kerry's site
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Michael, Tom,

I believe the 330 sn 8705 on Ebay used to belong to Harold Pace, who was a frequent poster to the Ferrari List in the early days (quick archive search on my part).  From what I could tell, he seemed knowlegable about it's upkeep, so one fuel hose isn't too worrying.  As Simon Randy pointed out, a car that has been driven and maintained can be in good shape at higher miles than one that has just sat (like mine), although there is a lot on 330s which need TLC to last a long time.  Caveat Empor.

From a Sept 97 post:

bottom of car.
Harold Pace
pacecars@aol.com

I am not involved in selling this one in any way - I just would like to see more on the road than in showrooms.

Jon
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Michael, Tom,

From a Sept 97 post:

bottom of car.
Harold Pace
pacecars@aol.com

Jon