Tom.....completion timetable?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Tom.....completion timetable?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

Hey Tom,
I was wondering if you have a timetable for when you anticipate installing your engine and firing it up.  I'm sure you are eager to hear those 12 cylinders once again roaring!
Colin
wwwboard

Re: Tom.....completion timetable?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Colin,

It seems to be the question posed by everyone who visits my site! As with any restoration, the finish date keeps getting moved back! I feel that if we, as restorers, were actually accurate in our time estimates, we would have never started in the first place!

I know I've told some people several months ago that I wanted to finish my Summer...O.K., late Summer, but now it's looking like Fall! It's not that I've stopped working on the car, but these things take time!!! I am probably 30 man hours from installing the engine, and firing her up, but most of these hours depend on Francois, so I am at the mercy of his availibility, and time.

After I get the mechanicals working, I'll need to get the car down to the upholsterers for trimm and carpet!

It WILL get done! Soon, I hope, but it will get done!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ade Maritz

The closer one gets to the completion date on a restoration, the hurrieder you get, lol. This is a little OT, but the sentiments remain the same.
Some years ago a buddy and I were rebuilding an MGA TwinCam. With the chassis repainted and new brake lines in, we married up the motor (my part of the work - and I was pretty anxious to see if I'd got the cam timing right...) the gearbox and the diff.
Somewhat diffidently I ventured a proposal that we start the engine. (Remember, at this stage there was no body, dashboard, ignition switch, fuel lines...and just the stub exhaust manifold.)
Ok - I juryrigged a fuel supply by inverting a plastic bottle with some pipe leading to the twin SU's, and hotwired the coil (the MG used two 6-volt batteries under the rear seat, which weren't there yet, so I took out the old man's battery from his Hillman Hunter ;)).
Next, we jacked up the left rear corner of the car, stuck the gearbox in third, and Des (my mate) prepared to turn the engine via the left rear wheel....
To my utter amazement, it fired at once! I stood gaping at the noise; Des was screaming at me to knock the box out of gear, since he was having to hold the back of the chassis up to stop it getting away; and the neighbours were having fits at the racket...heh.
It was a good feeling to get that motor running again - needless to say, it was also pretty dumb to try and do it so quickly. If that TwinCam had taken off down the driveway, we'd never have stopped it before it ran into the busy main road in front of the house.
Naah - take your time, Tom. You're doing this one right. But I must admit, I can't wait for your weekly instalments :)

Best regards

Ade.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ade Maritz

The closer one gets to the completion date on a restoration, the hurrieder you get, lol. This is a little OT, but the sentiments remain the same.
Some years ago a buddy and I were rebuilding an MGA TwinCam. With the chassis repainted and new brake lines in, we married up the motor (my part of the work - and I was pretty anxious to see if I'd got the cam timing right...) the gearbox and the diff.
Somewhat diffidently I ventured a proposal that we start the engine. (Remember, at this stage there was no body, dashboard, ignition switch, fuel lines...and just the stub exhaust manifold.)
Ok - I juryrigged a fuel supply by inverting a plastic bottle with some pipe leading to the twin SU's, and hotwired the coil (the MG used two 6-volt batteries under the rear seat, which weren't there yet, so I took out the old man's battery from his Hillman Hunter ;)).
Next, we jacked up the left rear corner of the car, stuck the gearbox in third, and Des (my mate) prepared to turn the engine via the left rear wheel....
To my utter amazement, it fired at once! I stood gaping at the noise; Des was screaming at me to knock the box out of gear, since he was having to hold the back of the chassis up to stop it getting away; and the neighbours were having fits at the racket...heh.
It was a good feeling to get that motor running again - needless to say, it was also pretty dumb to try and do it so quickly. If that TwinCam had taken off down the driveway, we'd never have stopped it before it ran into the busy main road in front of the house.
Naah - take your time, Tom. You're doing this one right. But I must admit, I can't wait for your weekly instalments :)

Best regards

Ade.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Ade,

Great story! I've got a "bone head" story about how I set my hand on fire trying to start a '64 Barracuda, but luckily I caused no permanent damage except for some scars that remind me never to do what I did again!

When we finally get the engine and transmission installed, I will be taking my car down to the upholsterer's. I have visions on me driving the car in the industrial park sitting on a milk crate just to try it out before the seats are done!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Ade,

Great story! I've got a "bone head" story about how I set my hand on fire trying to start a '64 Barracuda, but luckily I caused no permanent damage except for some scars that remind me never to do what I did again!

When we finally get the engine and transmission installed, I will be taking my car down to the upholsterer's. I have visions on me driving the car in the industrial park sitting on a milk crate just to try it out before the seats are done!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Ade,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Watch out, Tom!  It turns out that it's very difficult to apply the brakes while sitting on a milk crate!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Watch out, Tom!  It turns out that it's very difficult to apply the brakes while sitting on a milk crate!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Deane,

Thanks for the warning! It certainly sounds like there's a personal experience behind that warning!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Deane,

Thanks for the warning! It certainly sounds like there's a personal experience behind that warning!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Deane,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Deane,

Tom