Considering 330 GT 2+2

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Considering 330 GT 2+2

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Scott Soares

Tom:

Great web site! I've been hard-pressed to find any useful information on the 330 GT on the Net and am glad that I found your story. I'm considering a 1967 330 GT 2+2 that is for sell at a local dealer, but am not quite sure what I might be getting myself into.

The car that has caught my eye is restored, with exception to minor cosmetic details (e.g. needs new dash and there is some rust on borrani wheels), thus I wouldn't be facing any serious mechanical issues at the onset. Thus, my question is what should I expect in the future in terms of reliability and obtaining parts when something does break.

The car is being sold for $52,000, which appears to be a high-end price for anything less than concourse level. Any thoughts or pre-cautions are appreciated, as I don't mind performing a good portion of the upkeep, but want to avoid major surprises.

Thank you,

Scott Soares
wwwboard

Re: Considering 330 GT 2+2

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Scott,

The price does not seem especially high. I've seen perfect cars trade hands privately for much more money, where the people who make the price lists never hear about them. Also consiser a "Concours" restoration can easily top well over $100K, I doubt someone would sell their car for half that much!

I can't stress this point enough, have a third party FERRARI Mechanic inspect the car. Dishonest sellers and mechanics sometimes make deals to overlook problems to make a sale. Don't get caught in the middle! Research the car. Find out who did the work. Ask about their reputations. Be careful!

Parts are availible, but not in the "Pep Boys" sense. Anything Ferrari can be gotten for a price, and if it can't be bought, it can certainly be made. Go to some of my links and suppliers websites, and price some parts. If you're comfortable with $200 dollar distibutor caps (you'll need two) and $20K dollar engine rebuilds, then at least you're prepared for the worst. In the best of times, you can do things on a budget, but the parts are still rediculously high. I do as much of the work I can myself, but I still have to buy the parts from the same guys that sell to restoration shops that are doing $100K restorations. They don't discount because they don't have to!

Where are you located? I'd love to keep this conversation public, but if you want to discuss specifics, e-mail me privately.

Tom