stainless steel exhaust

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

stainless steel exhaust

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan P

Tom - in your 9/14/01 installment, you mentioned possible getting a stainless steel exhaust system from Timevalve.  I priced Timevalve and Stebro for stainless systems for a 365GT2+2 - Timevalve came in at about $450 more than Stebro (this is for everything behind the headers).  Is there a reason other than competitive pricing that Stebro is cheaper?  Has anyone had any experiences, pro or con, with these two suppliers?
wwwboard

Re: stainless steel exhaust

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Bryan,

I honestly don't know why there is a price difference. I've been asking if anyone's installed one, but no one can vouch for either system.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Elliott

I've just recently installed a Timevalve system on my '64 330 GT 2+2 and I'm quite happy with it.  It appears to be well made and an accurate reproduction of the original Ansa system that was used on the later cars.  My car originally had an Abarth system which Ferrari used up to around '65 (?).  Anyway, it looks and sounds great.  

I haven't had experience with Stebro, but I did see a system of theirs for a 330 a few years ago.  It looked ok.   My mechanic, who does mostly restoration work, doesn't use Stebro, mostly because he thinks they sound a little too "hot-rod".  He used to always go with the British Quicksilver stainless systems, but he's done a couple of Timevalves now and he's impressed with them.

John.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

I bought a system for my 400 from this company in England. Center section was around $900, two rear sections was about $800 and the manifolds are $1200. Obviously your system will be different but you could email them and get a quote. The guy I dealt with was called Don

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bruce Snowdon

I installed a Stebro system on my 330 GTC last year. There were a few problems with delays in shipping. Once it arrived I found that the diameter at the front of the mid section was slightly small for my manifold pipes. I had this section stretched at a local muffler shop. The exhaust was also missing a few hanger brackets and the company was very quick to provide replacements but I then had to have these welded on locally.
    That being said, I am pleased with the final result and appearance. The exhaust has a very rich tone and compares favourably with other Ferrari's.
    &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Bruce Simon, John, and Bryan,

My concerns with the exhaust system on the 330 America is which pipes will fit? Since I have a 330 engine, I have two sets of headers on each side leading to two down pipes. How will this join with what should essentially a 250GTE exhaust system is my question. I spoke with Timevalve several months ago, and they offered to install my exhaust at their facilities (ie. more money) for a correct fit, and I may go that direction to save some agravation and wasted time. I haven't called any of the custom muffler shops to get quotes, but I think the best way is to have it done by someone who can fit it to the actual car.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Bruce Simon, John, and Bryan,

My concerns with the exhaust system on the 330 America is which pipes will fit? Since I have a 330 engine, I have two sets of headers on each side leading to two down pipes. How will this join with what should essentially a 250GTE exhaust system is my question. I spoke with Timevalve several months ago, and they offered to install my exhaust at their facilities (ie. more money) for a correct fit, and I may go that direction to save some agravation and wasted time. I haven't called any of the custom muffler shops to get quotes, but I think the best way is to have it done by someone who can fit it to the actual car.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Tom,

I had a complete new ansa exhaust put on my 330.  It required considerable adjustment by a muffler man.  I'd expect your system, from whatever supplier, to also need a bit of fine tuning as it goes on your car.

Glad to hear you are OK.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Tom,

I had a complete new ansa exhaust put on my 330.  It required considerable adjustment by a muffler man.  I'd expect your system, from whatever supplier, to also need a bit of fine tuning as it goes on your car.

Glad to hear you are OK.