Brake booster

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Brake booster

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Hi Tom,

Is rebuilding the brake booster something that can be tackled by the first time doer with a rebuilt kit, or is it something that should be farmed out?

My brakes work fine except I seem to be constantly wiping this fine layer of brake fluid spray from around the booster.

Do you recommend anyone for rebuilding?

john
wwwboard

Re: Brake booster

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

It all depends on how the brake booster is assembled the earlier ones that are bolted together are a no brainer just make sure the inside of the housing is very smooth and clean and use a good heavy grease to make a long lasting air tight seal. the later ones however are a little more complicated because the two halves are crimped together and I have yet to tackle one myself.
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi John,

I sent my booster out to be rebuilt. I can get the name and address the next time I see Francois.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

John,

There's a place in San Jose (in the Yellow Pages) that claimed to be familiar with rebuilding Bonaldi boosters when I called.  I haven't used them, though.

They seemed to have the right knowledge about opening the booster (twist), the exterior plating, and the availabililty of rebuild parts and how to fine-tune the boost.  I wrote down their phone # but don't have it right now.  Let me know if you want the info, I'll look it up.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike Dunn

The outfit in San Jose is called Power Brake Exchange, 408/292-1305, ask for Michael, use my name.  They had the parts for all fo the Ferraris I have restored and they are currently helping me set up a booster on my all original (almost) 1938 Ford.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Neil Albaugh

Actually, the vacuum servo (booster) on a 250GTE is similar to the Bendix Hydravac brake booster that was used on late- '50s Studebakers, among others (!). They were manufactured under license from Bendix and except for the brake piston diameter, the two are virtually identical. A Hydravac repair kit has everything you need except for the brake piston seals.

Regards,  Neil