Come on guys!

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Come on guys!

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

It's been pretty quiet out there this week. I need some kind of distraction, and I can't think of anything better than to talk about than Ferraris! I can even vent about how bad the F-1 race was covered by ABC! Any takers?

Is everybody just not talking because they're putting their cars away for winter?? There's got to be something we can talk about!

Tom
wwwboard

Re: Come on guys!

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by CraigFL

You're right! The F1 announcers were awful. They obviously didn't know anything about F1--- and making comparisons to NASCAR????

P.S. I'm too busy driving and having fun in Florida -- so I don't have to worry about winter!!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan P

I couln't bring myself to watch it on ABC - will hold out for the Speedvision version . . . .
I am waiting for the arrival of the Stebro package - Murphy's law dictates that it will arrive first thing Monday morning.  I will give a full report re: fit and finish.  
My first child arrives in approx. 6 weeks, so lots of preparation to do.  My wife has rejected the names Enzo and Dino for the baby!!!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Erik Nielsen

my comments about the race will be in the october issue of veloce press magazine, but they pretty much echo what's been said already.  

as for getting people to talk, tom was nice enough to invite me out for a drink in nyc last thursday and is really a nice guy that knows his ferraris (not some lunatic psycotic).  can't wait to see the finished product on the road.

btw, tom i find out tomorrow if the move to ct will be going through.  karen's even found a house on 2.25 acres with a three car garage within our budget, so it looks like we may have lucked out.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

I'm calling the coverage of the ABC F-1 race "F-1 Lite." It was an insult to our intellegence to report the race with such simplistic analogies! ...and Jason Priestley as a pit reporter?!? O.K., so he's a gear head, but that does not qualify him for that job!!! Machette (sp?) worked for Benetton, and actually turned some wrenches in the pit.

Did any producers bother to at least teach the announcers how to pronounce the driver's names? If it wasn't for the sound of the screaming V-10s, I would have watched the race with the sound off! Since I worked for CBS Sports, I know how it's done, and ABC did NOT get it done!

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Erik,

I can always be persuaded to chat Ferraris, but "Crazy" is relative term!

Let me know how things go. Good luck!

Tom

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tim

I was surprized how bad the coverage was.  I like the job Jenkins and Priestly have done in the IRL but they were obviously out of their league.  The pronunciation of Reubens Barichello's name changed half way through the broadcast.  When Eddie Cheever's commentary is the highlight of the show, you know you are in trouble.  My 330 is in the air whilst I pack wheel bearings.  Should be back on the road Sunday.  I spent last week putting 1000 miles on my 2 Morgan +4 roadsters.        Tim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Wolfgang Rao

Tom...its been a while since I've posted--between real work, and work on the Ferrari there seems to be so little time! Recent events in your neck of the woods have also been extremely distracting-- we probably all need our Italian obsessions now more than ever--as diversion seems necessary to preserve one's sanity in an increasingly insane world! Take heart, there's many of us out here in the wilds of North America (even here in Lotus Land--the west coast of Canada) who are thinking about you all and praying that some form of normalcy and harmony can be restored to the universe! I have spent the last month futiley trying to run down a second gear synchro gear, change fork, and main shaft bushings for my 250 GTE transmission. Do you or Francois have any ideas where to look for such esoterica? What does one do with a shift fork that has worn asymetrically--that is more on one side than the other--I'm worried that if I re-install it as is the two sides of the slider ring that engages the synchro ring will do so at different rates--leading to earlier ultimate failure! There also seems to be no supply of Synchro gears for these transmissions--the best I have been able to do is a potentially useable used second gear with Synchro gear still attached--hmmm-used second gear synchros--not my first choice! Last, but by no means least troublseome--the best I seem to be able to do on the main shaft bushings is a set of blanks made by a well known English Ferrari shop some time ago--before their demise! This means cutting the durn things down to fit--and who knows how well their copper facings will last as compared to the factory bushings which seem to be faced with some kind of lead based alloy! HMMM...it's all rather deeply depressing....send me your thoughts--maybe my deep transmission ponderings can provide you with some much needed distractions--we'd both benefit! Keep up the awesome work on your car and on your site--most of us need your inspiration more now than ever! PS--the reason Cam Bryson is wishing you (and everyone else) a happy thanksgiving is becuase us Canucks north of the 49th Parallel--having no hope of connecting our ancestry to the Mayflower, choose instead to celebrate the pagan harvest thanksgiving--which happens to fall this weekend! Cheers...Wolfgang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm pretty embarassed not to have recognized another Holiday outside of the US! My apologies to everyone Canadian!

Have you tried Italian sources for these parts? Sometimes if American sources come up dry, going to Italy is your only choice. E-mail me privately if you can't get further. I may have some more suggestions for some parts.

Tom