When are you firing it up?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

When are you firing it up?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Pete

Just wondering when you think you're going to be able to fire that puppy up?  Are you waiting on the exhaust, of just finishing wiring, etc.?  I've been following the resto for a couple of months now, kinda exciting this close to firing it up.
wwwboard

Re: When are you firing it up?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Pete,

I would really love to fit some kind of an exhaust on the car, but there are still litttle things left to do. I need to fabricate a pipe for the heater hose, and get the alternator bracket sorted. Yes, I know, these things don't necessarily stop me from cranking her up, but I want to exersize patience and do things right!

Trust me, I want to hear her crank up too, but I want to hear her rev up a little, and I don't know if my ears will appreciate that with just the header pipes!

Tom
wwwboard

Re: When are you firing it up?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Tom,

You may consider a pre-lubricator for that engine of yours.  If I were starting out with a brand new Ferrari V12 engine I would definitely pamper it from the get-go.

I put one on my engine last year and I can tell you the details of installation, which is pretty simple, and the intrusion to the engine is minimal.  And, after you sell the car to buy that Lusso you can easily remove and reinstall it in the Lusso.  Now, before I hit the starter button I turn on the lubricator and witness the car’s pressure gauge dial go from zero to about 40 lbs, then I hit the starter button.

Take a look at this site http://www.masterlube.net .  This is where I got mine.  This fellow invented it mainly for the farm equipment that stay dormant in winter in the cold of Colorado, but then found other uses for his pre-luber, like protecting classic car engines.

Let me know if you need to know more.

john