help choosing a ferrari for purchase

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

help choosing a ferrari for purchase

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Fred - Florida

Hi erveryone! I've been searching around for an older ferrari to buy and stumbled on this great site of fellow car enthusiasts. Currently I'm interested in the 206/246 Dinos and 365 GTB and GTC and  have a few (lots really!) questions regarding these and other models that I would love any input from the board on. Any pros and cons about these models? Why is a 365 GTC so much cheaper than a 365 GTB (Is it just the miami vice factor or is one car much superior or a better buy than the other)? Any other models that I should consider? Any help appreciated as well as recommendations on delaers, barns, etc where I might be able to find a steal and that I should definitelly avoid?
TIA

Fred in Florida

wwwboard

Re: help choosing a ferrari for purchase

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Fred,

I'm glad you like my website!

First off, let's make sure we're talking about the right models. There was a Ferrari called "365GTC" and is in the lineage of the 330GTC series, but I believe the car you're asking about is the 365GTC/4 which at first glance looks similar to the 356GTB otherwise known as the Daytona.

The 365GTC/4 is a two seat Ferrari with a four cam 4.4 liter V-12 engine. Because of its low hood line, it has six side draft Weber carburetors. This engine is mated to a 5 speed gearbox directly behind the engine. Some people do not like the full rubber nose of the GTC/4 along with the transmission tunnel protruding into the passenger compartment.

The 365GTB is a two seat Ferrari with a similar 4.4 liter V-12, but with the traditional downdraft carburetors mounted in the middle of the engine. The transmission is found in the rear of the car in the form of a 5-speed transaxle. This puts more weight in the back of the car for better balance. The Daytona is sexy car, and if imitation is the best form of flattery, all the chopped up Corvettes that have gone to make replica Daytonas should be a sign!

I've never driven a 365GTC/4, so I can't say what it's like, but I think it's certainly underated. With the large rubber bumper up front, certain colors look better than others. It's all a metter of taste. It might not be a nimble track car either, but ANY Ferrari with 12 cylinders under the hood is a great car!

I have driven a Daytona, and it's not necessarily a track car either! (no hate mail, please!) It's a brute of a car, and a handful to drive around town. I guessed that you had to be a hairy-chested Italian to drive this car, but as I drove out of town, and onto the faster roads, the sluggish controls became more precise. What a machine!

Dinos are totally different machines. Qute, but not blazingly quick. They're extreemly well balanced cars, and like to cruise at 80, but don't expect to be pinned to your seat from the accelleration. For what they're selling for, you could've had a V-8! or 12!

Keep asking questions, and I'll try to help. I'm sure others will chime in if I get the answers wrong, or want to lend their advice. Good luck.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Fred - Florida

Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I meant the 365 GTC/4, ferrari denominations are quite complicated in the beginning!. This vehicle seems to be a steal even at this time when Daytonas are selling in the low 100's. I was looking for a good reason why they are so underated. I just started on my search and I'm starting to gather info to make a purchase. Thanks for the info and I'll keep asking my questions. The dino was my first choice  I gues because of the old series with Tony Curtiss and Roger Moore where Tony drove the Dino. I just think its a great looking car and instantly recognizable as one of the forerunners of the more current production models such as the 355 and 360.

Talk to you later

Fred  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Fred,

There's a book by Dean Batchelor called "Illustrated Ferrari Byer's guide" that I highly recommend. It briefly covers most of the models, and I use it often a quick reference. All the numbers and letters are pretty confusing!

I feel the two-seat 12 cylinder Ferrari bargins (if there is such a thing) are the 365GTC/4, and the Boxer. The Testarossa should be added to the list, but only if you like it's hi-profile looks. These two cars are very different in nature, but offer the variety of either front engine, or mid engine 12 cylinder Ferraris.   

I'm not knocking the Dino for its lack of power, but just making you aware of it. It's really a beautiful car, and not build to be a brute. Just a few years ago, they were selling for $40K, and now trade hands in the $60s! Their increase in value shows it's desirability, but IMHO, is too expensive when you consider what else you can buy for that kind of money.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Andrew Brent

Tom, the 365GTC/4 is a two plus two. Unlike our cars there is really only room for an adult with no legs back there, but it could be used for a couple of 5 year olds.

Some say the styling is known as the hunchback. Some say the power is down over a daytona, and the added complexity of the
carbs on the side of the motor is a hassle. But Bryan Cashion seems to really like his, hopefully he is reading this and can offer an opinion given that he really would be qualified to do so.

Bye.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Andrew,

I stand corrected! I'm sure I would have remembered the rear seats if I had actually driven one. I folowed one once, and it looked great from behind!

Tom