Horns

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Horns

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Parker

I believe the trumpets on the Fiamm "road Master" horns were finished with a translucent "Candy Apple" red paint on top of the chrome plating. I have seen it written by Jim Riff or John Apen  that they used "Testors" model airplane paint. I did a pair a couple years ago and used the Testors paint. I think the best color match was #1629 , which was the next darker color from "Candy Apple Red". Surely Francois must know about that. It looks as if Ferrari changed from the Marchall Stridor horns to the Fiamm "Road Masters" some time during the run of the G.T.E.'s, perhaps 1963 or so. However the road test in Road and Track in the Spring of 1961 shows a Fiamm horn? I have also seen two cars with trumpets made by "Strebel" which looked to be original on two unmolested cars. Perhaps Francois would know about that also. Wouldn't it be nice to find the purchasing man and all of his records from the 1960's. &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: Horns

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Parker and everyone interested in the horns,

Since we seem to have a few people interested, if you send me pictures of your horn set up, I can post a write up on the correct detailing in a "tech tip." I'll see if I can take some pictures of my set up which seems untouched, except for the trumpets which I painted.

Tom
wwwboard

Re: Horns

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Neil Albaugh

The Series III that I previously owned (S/N 4509) had Fiamm trumpets and a Fiamm compressor. The trumpets were not chrome plated underneath the paint, rather they had only a coat of brilliant red paint on what appeared to be die cast zinc or aluminum. I bought that 250GTE in 1969 and I'm pretty sure it was original.

Regards,  Neil