365 GT 2+2 rear load leveling shocks

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 365 GT 2+2 rear load leveling shocks

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom N

Arron, I agree with you on your assessment of the shock. I do think there is some damping but probably very little. The person in Arizona mentioned earlier, remachines the seal plate to accept a more standard seal and recommends not to use a urethane seal. He also uses a Schrader valve in place of the Allen screw. He wasn't sure where the oil and  gas was suppose to go and said he has found it in all parts of the shock. He also thought it didn't matter as it would eventually get into everywhere due seepage. I think Nitrogen is suppose to be only in the area outside the bladder and oil above and below the piston. Pressure is about 385lbs. Motorcycle fork oil would probably work. I have some original oil that I am going to have the viscosity checked. The shaft should be looked at under a microscope as some have micro cracking in the plating. Shafts are apparently in different alloys and not all are replatable (hard chrome). Tom N
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom N

There is a set of 365 2+2 load levelers on ebay, item no. 600500517 &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

Tom,

I actually have a C4 – I believe the levelers to be very close if not the same (even though the Koni part numbers are different,)  anyway in looking at the balder, I can see how oil might seep around the top and get into what I believe is the Gas cavity. A minimal amount of oil in the gas cavity should not change the function significantly.  I would bet that if too much oil transferred in, the balder might be “popped.”

Best I can measure, the shaft diameter is .856 inches. I thought I would go see if I could find an “high use” high-pressure hydraulic seal.

That is good input about the shrader valve. Sounds like a good way to allow for experimentally determining the correct pressure – I’m sure there will be a lot of experimenting.

Aaron

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron

Levelers for C4 and I thinkd 365 GT 2+2

I made the seal measurements on the levelers

What I got – in inches

Rod Seal   ID .856,  OD 1.250,   Height .180
Rod Wiper   About the same
Rod Backup Seal  ID .856,  OD 1.375, Height .100

In talking to EMP, they can make these seals in polyurethane good for many thousands of PSI at about  $5.00 each – I have to buy quite a few.  Not being up to speed on Shocks, they assume standard hydraulic fluid and a shaft velocity of bout 120 feet a minute.

Which brings me to two questions that I need to get answered – I will start the research, does anyone have any suggestions.

1. What is the difference between hydraulic fluid and motorcycle fork oil? Is there a problem with straight hydraulic fluid? Is there something better and what type of seal material should be used?
2. Is 120 feet a minute (2 feet a second) too low a velocity, anyone know how fast shocks really need to compress?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

I feel kind of silly, there is a guy on Tom's components supplier list - Jeff LaBlond that rebuilds the Levelers. I didn't see it at first. Has anyone contacted him or had him rebuild levelers?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Nyren

Aaron, I contacted him and he was very helpful. I think he would even help you do the job yourself. I am going to send him mine when I get a chance for rebuilding. I posted some information after talking with him earlier.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by aaron

Tom,

As per your suggestions, I called Jeff and we had a discussion about leveler function. It seems that Koni might even be pointing Ferrari owners with leveler problems, his way.

Anyway – after doing the measurements and finding a source for seals (EMP), I found that Jeff would be charging me less to rebuild both levelers than it would cost me to have the minimum number of seals fabricated.   So – I punted and sent both levelers to Jeff.  I will let you know the results  --  I believe I will have them back in a couple of weeks unless he finds a problem.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

Following up on Hydraulic Leveler repair for 365’s and 400’s.  (I have a C4)

I had both of mine start to leak shortly after I replace the end bushings. I took one apart to find that the seals had turned to stone and fractured.   I looked into having new seals manufactured but found that the entry cost was around $600.00. About that time I also discovered that there was a guy on Tom’s web page that would rebuild them.  So – I sent both of them – one was a basket case – to Jeff.  Jeff LeBlond has a Lamborghini shop in Arizona.  

I got my Levelers back on Tuesday (complete with pressure specifications) and installed them last night.  My test drive went very well, it was sure nice to have the “correct” damping and suspension level back.   The car rides very nicely. So far, I’m very pleased and consider it a $500.00 well spent.  

I haven’t quite figured out the placement of the sharder valve – it is on the top of the shock leading into what I thought was the oil side of the bladder.  (There are still mysteries in this universe I don’t understand)
Oh well – ignorance can be bliss

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Aaron,

I'm glad to hear Jeff LeBlond was able to help you out. It's a service that I'm sure is going to be in demand for owner's of 365GTC/4s, and 365GT 2+2 owners.

Tom