Do I fit in a FERRARI?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Do I fit in a FERRARI?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ramses

I love this site and eagerly anticipate the day Tom hits the road. A couple of years ago I had the chance to sit in a ferrari 328 and was shocked at its interior dimensions. The pedals were far off to the right and due to the position of the center console i was unable to bend my legs to touch the pedals! When sitting straight my legs only bend up/down and not towards the right!  I then figured I should angle my body towards the right but the center console did not let me.....Is it me or are Italians born with crooked legs? Are their any other ferraris that might accomodate my 6'1 inch 250 pound frame any better? Is a 330GT or newer TR a better fit or should i consider larger cars? In the past I have owned a 66' Mustang conv, 73 Corvette and a Porsche 968 and never had a problem. What do you you guys think? Any info will be appreciated? Thank you
wwwboard

Re: Do I fit in a FERRARI?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Ramses,

Thanks for the support! If you can't wait to see me on the road, you should see how anxious I am!

What you're experiencing is often associated with mid-engined cars. The engine puts the cockpit so far forward, the foot wells intersect with the wheel wells. I'm not a tall guy, but at 5'11" I could just feel my hair touching the headliner when sitting inside a Boxer. I don't know how I would wear a helmet in one of those on track days!

Height is also different from person to person. Having shorter legs helps when driving Italian cars. They always talk about the "Italian Driving Position" as arms out stretched with knees splayed, but that's probably for the rest of us who aren't Italian!

You're really just going to have to try the cars on for size!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith

I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs and can only fit comfortably in my 348 when the seat is all the way back. I cannot drive with the roof section behind the seat as it was intended. The seats are also very narrow and it is a tight squeeze on my butt. I took my 6'4" friend for a ride and he was all crumpled up in the passenger seat. My 330 feels like an SUV compared to the 348.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by CraigFL

I'm 6'-4" , 250 and fit in my 328 reasonably well. I'm never completely comfortable in any car but I can drive it OK with or without the top. Like the rest said, you need to try and and see if it's something you can live with.