Knock offs

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Knock offs

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Parker

Hi Tom: The hot set up on the knock offs is to strip them, repair all the dings, send them out to be re-engraved and then have them replated. The numbers are the original English Rudge Whitworth design numbers, eg. RW42, or RW32...There may be an association with the O.D. of the largest bearing size that can be used in that design of hub. I think Borrani stopped making the convex design about 1964. The early "Lussos" have the convex knock offs while the later ones have the newer concave ones, So I would guess the change was made in about 1964. I have seen new convex inserts in Wayne Obry's shop, so it may be possible to rework the new ones with the old convex centers. I also have a set that were reworked by Bobby Smith, including the trip to the engraving shop and replating. I think Bobby did an article for the preservation council on the various configurations of knock offs and you might ask him for a copy. Please give me a call at home and I'll get both phone numbers for you, don't have them at work today. As these are an old English pattern the threads are still English Dimensions, I think 8 or 12 threads per inch..Same as Jags and Healeys...The work with the exhaust systems reflects what I have always heard, that none of the systems has ever gone on without a litte bit of cutting and hacking. You would think that a production run of 950 cars would lead to some standardization on something like the exhaust system....We'll just have to find the guy who was installing them in Maranello in 1963 for "the rest of the story". . &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: Knock offs

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Cork Adams at Precision Wire Wheel Service  charges $75 for repair and replating.  He has someone who can re-engrave as well but that is extra.  He does wheel restoration as well.  &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: Knock offs (reply to Parker)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Parker,

Thanks for clarifying the information on the knock offs. Do you mind if I quote you on this for an article on the knockoffs? I'll call you this week for Bob Smith's number. His name sounds familier. Are you going to be home for MLK's Birthday?

The commonality of ill fitting exhausts is why I'm not quick to blame Stebro for their fit. Their promptness is another issue! As I'm learning more about the difficulties in Ferrari exhausts, I'm hoping others will benifit by knowing what to expect. This sharing of information will force the vendors to improve their service, and perhaps compete a little more on price. If we, as the consumer, don't know what's available, then we won't know what's fair!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

Have you used Precision Wire Wheels for wheel restoration?  What do you think of their work?  I need to get my Borrani's worked on and was going to check in on Precision.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

Have you used Precision Wire Wheels for wheel restoration?  What do you think of their work?  I need to get my Borrani's worked on and was going to check in on Precision.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

I just called Cork Adams at Precision, and am going to send my knock offs to him for rechroming. I hear good things about his work.

I've also seen good work from Wheel Tech Ltd (in the suppliers list). I think Bob Gates charges $500 per wheel.

Tom Yang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

I just called Cork Adams at Precision, and am going to send my knock offs to him for rechroming. I hear good things about his work.

I've also seen good work from Wheel Tech Ltd (in the suppliers list). I think Bob Gates charges $500 per wheel.

Tom Yang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

Tom Yang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

Good to hear!  I will be near Carmichael, CA on business soon and will try to drop by.  I will let you know when I do.

By the way, isn't it about 1AM where you are?  Thats OK for computer guys, but car guys need their sleep!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

Good to hear!  I will be near Carmichael, CA on business soon and will try to drop by.  I will let you know when I do.

By the way, isn't it about 1AM where you are?  Thats OK for computer guys, but car guys need their sleep!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Cork is no longer in Carmichael but moved last summer to Quincy Ill.   Phone 217  2228 8315
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Cork is no longer in Carmichael but moved last summer to Quincy Ill.   Phone 217  2228 8315
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim