Glass fuel filter bowl

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Glass fuel filter bowl

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith Milne

I went to change my fuel filter last night and the glass bowl broke in half in my hand. Does anyone here have a source for the bowl only? Maybe a retrofit from some other application? I've found a couple of complete regulators w/bowl from the regular suppliers, but you don't want to know what they want for them.
Thanks!
wwwboard

Re: Glass fuel filter bowl

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Keith,

I wonder if one could be turned out of Lexan? If I remember correctly, it's made out of pretty thick glass, so the plastic should be strong enough to withstand the force of the clamp. Hmmm...

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith

Thought about that actually. Its got to hold up to the gasoline though. Also thought that there must be a market for these. I can't imagine no one has ever broken one before. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith

Thought about that actually. Its got to hold up to the gasoline though. Also thought that there must be a market for these. I can't imagine no one has ever broken one before. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Peter George (FCA Pacific Region) had a bowl for sale a while ago, I think.  I'd keep calling around.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Peter George (FCA Pacific Region) had a bowl for sale a while ago, I think.  I'd keep calling around.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Keith,

Tom Shaunessy in So. California is a good source of odd pieces.  His number is 949-366-6211.

john
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Keith,

Tom Shaunessy in So. California is a good source of odd pieces.  His number is 949-366-6211.

john
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

I haven't been able to break  a bowl in my 25+ years of ownership (and I've tried) but I will pass along this tip.  When replacing the bowl, remove the old gasket completely.  This will allow a National #225 o-ring (1/8 x 1 7/8 x 2 1/8 inch) to fit snuggly enough that it won't fall out.  The o-ring will seal much better and keep the filter assembly dry.  They are cheap enough that I replace them everytime I replace the filters.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Try Jag Suppliers they used a similar set up I think the glass just looks slightly different if that fails I have a couple laying around.
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Try Jag Suppliers they used a similar set up I think the glass just looks slightly different if that fails I have a couple laying around.
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith Milne

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I've actually made numerous calls to my contacts here in California, but to no avail. I realize those things are thick and should be tough to break, but the bottom snapped out and it simply broke in half. (Was always REAL careful too.)
Zac - I've actually checked those options, but the size is a little different. If you'd like to part with one of yours, shoot me an email.
thanks,
Keith &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith Milne

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I've actually made numerous calls to my contacts here in California, but to no avail. I realize those things are thick and should be tough to break, but the bottom snapped out and it simply broke in half. (Was always REAL careful too.)
Zac - I've actually checked those options, but the size is a little different. If you'd like to part with one of yours, shoot me an email.
thanks,
Keith &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bruce

The glass fuel bowl in my Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 is an identical fit. You might try an Alfa parts source for the bowl and I suspect they would be cheaper.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

Did the same thing a few years back. Had a scientific apparatus glass blower make a couple. Not cheap! Try a farm tractor supply or NAPA. IH tractors from the 50's had glass bowls which are readily available for about $10. Visually size is close, have not measured. &nbsp