308gt4 what color

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

308gt4 what color

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

Im in the process of having my gt4 body and paint  
restored .The car is originally avorio safari in color.
Which i think is why the guy i bought it from had a hard time selling it .The question is do we really need another red ferrari driving the roads? Will it really matter if i paint it black or avorio ? Any opinion will be greatly appreciated .   Great site by the way!
wwwboard

Re: 308gt4 what color

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

What colour is 'avorio safari'?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

Avorio means Ivory in Italian.But Is originallity important enough on a gt4?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Mike,

I've seen a lot of Corsa Rossa(racing red) 308GT4s, so I don't know if we're conditioned to see these cars in red, but it's nice to see a Ferrari in another color. I recently saw a 308GT4 in a dark blue, and thought it looked stunning. The dark color softened the angles a bit and really made the car look less severe.

Paint the car what you want if you plan to own it. Red cars attract a lot of attention, including the police, so beware, but some Ferrari owners are all about attracting attention! If you're worried about re-sale then sell the car before you pour your money into body and paint!

I'm stuck with the Corsa Rossa my car was painted with because I just don't have the money to re-do the paint. If I had my ways, I'd return it to the original Amaranto (dark red) or choose a dark blue color. IMO, the Racing Red is a modern Ferrari color, and doesn't look good on the older cars. Even GTOs from the 60s were painted with a darker red than the modern F-1 Ferraris.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

Thanks for your thoughts Tom.I think what im getting at is will originallity be better in the long run? I bought the car because it is a different ferrari . I mean,in the future come time to sell and im asked is this the original color ? Do I just say yes to what ever color i decided to paint it ? I am thinking about black ? It looks really good with all the chrome around the glass , And it will really hide those big nasty bumpers. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Mike,

If you were painting a rare car that was painted a certain color because a certain King owned it, or it was special ordered by someone like Steve McQueen, then I might reconsider changing the color, but your car, and my 330 America, will never be worth that much money, nor loose that much because of the color. Records will show what the original color was on the car, so you won't be able to fool an educated buyer, but I wouldn't let that stop me from painting it what I wanted.

You obviously have a problem with the original cream color, and don't want to paint it that color, so damn the future buyer! You will be the one who has to drive it today, and like it! Just be aware that black is one of the hardest colors to paint. I hope you have a good body man, and painter!

Tom

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon CAmpbell

What colour is the interior. I think you should make sure the inside and outside compliment each other. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

I know what you mean about the king and all that,Its just that ive been getting mixed feelings about the whole color situation from the local ferrari dealer here in Chicago and a local collector.And they have been saying the same thing about painting it how I like ,Which believe me I do understand , But at the same time Im trying to get a feel for what color other than RED that a future buyer will be attracted to.Thats where the BLACK idea came in.Im glad you wrote me back THANKS tom  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

Simon the interior is black leather
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by chris coios

For what it is worth, think of the concours field with nothing but red Ferraris.  Gets boring sometimes.  Many colors were offered by Ferrari and, at least with the Pininfarina bodied road cars, I believe most were not red.  Pininfarina often favored light to medium metallic colors, or dark colors for road cars.  These colors enhance the reflections, thus the lines, and they compliment the brightwork.  Bertone also seems to have favored other than red. Red is so intense and monolithic, it tends to mask and overwhelm the coachwork, especially where the lines are linear.  "Resale red" may move a car off the lot, but the designers had other thoughts.  Lately, it has been refreshing to see cars restored back to the original colors other than red.  In the final analysis, you are the customer and you should be happy with the color.  It is probably wise to select from the original color offerings.  Just a thought, no offense meant to anyone with a red car!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

So I guess the exterior needs to be red, black, yellow, white (???) or silver. I love red but yellow looks good to. My only concern about black is that the car will have to be absolutely straight or any repaired panel damage or ripples will show really badly. Yellow, on the other hand, is such an eyefull that you probably won't even see any marks or damage.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by 308gt4 color

I bought this car for the shape ,not any particular color.Now at this stage the avorio color i have found from spies-hecker does not match the avorio that was found under the repaint of the hood and tops years ago.And this is my dilemma, RED to SELL?i WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE CAR FOR A LONG TIME ,But many things change. I would LOVE yellow but I Believe it does not go well with the gt4.This is why i posted this on tom yang. And i appreciate all the help.its interesting the mixed feelings you can get from a question.Ask Ferrari owners and it seams ok to go original or red .Ask a person about any ferrari and they think Red! Ill be lookn real cool driving around in primer!!!!!!!!!....hmmm
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Adam

For what it's worth I think the 308gt4 looks best in either Yellow (will compliment the black interior well), Dark Blue, or for the very 70's option, Mettalic Green (I believe this was an original period colour). Black paint with black interior will probably be to visually heavy and not too mention hot.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

Thanks for the input Adam. What im trying to decide is what color other than Red to paint the car,That would still be interesting to a buyer in the future.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mike

Thanks for the input Adam. What im trying to decide is what color other than Red to paint the car,That would still be interesting to a buyer in the future.