400i transmission

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

400i transmission

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

I just brought a ferrari 400i automatic, as i drove it on the freeway, the rpms seems kind of high with also  a high pitching sound to it, is this normal for an automatic .ps IS there a way to add a fourth gear to the transmission.
wwwboard

Re: 400i transmission

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

It is a three-speed gearbox and I assume that you are getting all three gears. Is it just 'late' in changing up (this may be a vacuum problem, easy to solve). My 400 Auto is fine in fast roads. As approximate figures 150mph would be 6,500rpm to 100mph should be just over 4,000rpm.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

THANKS FOR THE RESPONES, BUT ABOUT THE WIDNING NOISE I HEAR, IS THAT NORMAL ARE NOT, I HEAR ONLY WHEN IAM ON THE FREEWAY AND MY DAIL SHOWS KILOMETES NOT MPG IN AMERIAN.  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

THANKS FOR THE RESPONES, BUT ABOUT THE WIDNING NOISE I HEAR, IS THAT NORMAL ARE NOT, I HEAR ONLY WHEN IAM ON THE FREEWAY AND MY DAIL SHOWS KILOMETES NOT MPG IN AMERIAN.  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

What speed are you doing when this happens (either kph or mph)? I think the noise should not be there but if you are talking about 240kph maybe it is normal on a 22 year car. Mine does not make any whining from the back axle but I have heard of others that have. I have driven mine at 125mph (200kph). I know a guy in Texas who is rebuilding his differential due to a big problem. If you email me privately I will give you his email address.

You could always put the car on axle stands and run it in gear and see where the noise is coming from. Also maybe you should drain the oil and see if any metal pieces come out in the oil. The axle only holds 1 litre of oil.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

What speed are you doing when this happens (either kph or mph)? I think the noise should not be there but if you are talking about 240kph maybe it is normal on a 22 year car. Mine does not make any whining from the back axle but I have heard of others that have. I have driven mine at 125mph (200kph). I know a guy in Texas who is rebuilding his differential due to a big problem. If you email me privately I will give you his email address.

You could always put the car on axle stands and run it in gear and see where the noise is coming from. Also maybe you should drain the oil and see if any metal pieces come out in the oil. The axle only holds 1 litre of oil.