250th Journal Entry!

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 250th Journal Entry!

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Steve,

Yes, both sides of the bracket has these serrations. There isn't a lot of torsional resistance to these bushings when they are locked down, but when I bolt everything together, I'll probably jack everything close to ride height before tightening the bolts down. The amount of torsion from these bars is proabably negligible when compared to the pressure from the leaf spring, and coil over shocks on vertical movement. On the Porsche, you're dealing with a torsion bars, so where you lock down the spring plate has a large effect to ride height.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Steve,

Yes, both sides of the bracket has these serrations. There isn't a lot of torsional resistance to these bushings when they are locked down, but when I bolt everything together, I'll probably jack everything close to ride height before tightening the bolts down. The amount of torsion from these bars is proabably negligible when compared to the pressure from the leaf spring, and coil over shocks on vertical movement. On the Porsche, you're dealing with a torsion bars, so where you lock down the spring plate has a large effect to ride height.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Steve,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Peter,

I guess you eventually out grow the desire for a "race car for the street," either that or your kidneys give out! I also laugh about how guys read performance specs, and use them to brag about power. Real world performance is different than on paper. Most specs are measured at WOT (wide open throttle), but when, and how long, does that happen on the street? Guys will spend tons of cash to get that 5-10hp increase, but may never feel it because they're never putting enough air through their engines. I usually walk away from these pissing contests! Mechanics make a lot of money from this ignorance, so they cetainly won't argue the point either!

The import car scene is interesting. On one point, I think it's great to get a new generation of car enthusiasts. This enthusiasm is what the industry needs to turn out some better engineers, and craftsmen. Many of the skills I'm learning to build this car has been lost from people not caring about cars, or building them. These "kids" will eventually get older like us, and will restore and build cars that will last into the future. I can't see a fifty year old driving a neon green Accord!

The other point is the misinformation in building these cars. The ones who win races know what they're doing, but the rest are just posing. Setting up a suspension is real science, and not as simple as bolting on parts. Suppliers are to blame as well for some of these accidents because they're selling parts to make money off of these kids, and not caring about how their parts can adversely affect handling. How much time is spent considering camber, and castor settings when a car is lowered? These settings might make a car look "cool" but also makes the steering reluctant to "center," a very dangerous set up for driving on the street!...but hey, isn't vanity more important than safety when you're 20?

Enough about other cars, and back to Ferraris! A 365GTC/4 is a relatively affordable Ferrari to get into. Darker colors de-emphasize the "carp mouthed" bumper, and really doesn't look as bad as the journalists say. Keep looking, and you'll find a good example!

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Peter,

I guess you eventually out grow the desire for a "race car for the street," either that or your kidneys give out! I also laugh about how guys read performance specs, and use them to brag about power. Real world performance is different than on paper. Most specs are measured at WOT (wide open throttle), but when, and how long, does that happen on the street? Guys will spend tons of cash to get that 5-10hp increase, but may never feel it because they're never putting enough air through their engines. I usually walk away from these pissing contests! Mechanics make a lot of money from this ignorance, so they cetainly won't argue the point either!

The import car scene is interesting. On one point, I think it's great to get a new generation of car enthusiasts. This enthusiasm is what the industry needs to turn out some better engineers, and craftsmen. Many of the skills I'm learning to build this car has been lost from people not caring about cars, or building them. These "kids" will eventually get older like us, and will restore and build cars that will last into the future. I can't see a fifty year old driving a neon green Accord!

The other point is the misinformation in building these cars. The ones who win races know what they're doing, but the rest are just posing. Setting up a suspension is real science, and not as simple as bolting on parts. Suppliers are to blame as well for some of these accidents because they're selling parts to make money off of these kids, and not caring about how their parts can adversely affect handling. How much time is spent considering camber, and castor settings when a car is lowered? These settings might make a car look "cool" but also makes the steering reluctant to "center," a very dangerous set up for driving on the street!...but hey, isn't vanity more important than safety when you're 20?

Enough about other cars, and back to Ferraris! A 365GTC/4 is a relatively affordable Ferrari to get into. Darker colors de-emphasize the "carp mouthed" bumper, and really doesn't look as bad as the journalists say. Keep looking, and you'll find a good example!

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Peter Skudder

Hi,

My mechanic father always used to tell me not to tighten up suspension bush bolts until the car is on the ground and the suspension has been given a bit of movement to settle everything. This was to make sure that the inner sleave on the rubber bushes was clamped at the correct untensioned position.

Jacking the axle up will do the same thing, I suppose.

Pete
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Peter Skudder

Hi,

My mechanic father always used to tell me not to tighten up suspension bush bolts until the car is on the ground and the suspension has been given a bit of movement to settle everything. This was to make sure that the inner sleave on the rubber bushes was clamped at the correct untensioned position.

Pete
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Peter Skudder

Hi,

Pete