your bushing dilemma............

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

your bushing dilemma............

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

Tom,
Have you tried a product called PB Blaster?  It is a penetrant that people who have tried it absolutely swear by.  It's sold at Pep Boys and similar stores.  This stuff is in a completely different league than (usually ineffective) products like liquid wrench.  If no one has a better idea, I'd spray the bolt with Blaster, let it sit for a couple of days, then try hammering it out or pressing it out with a small three-fingered puller.  Put a big thick washer on the side of the suspension arm over which the puller fingers will hook, then screw the bolt of the puller down onto the stuck bolt.  The big washer keeps the rubber part of the bushing from being forced out of its outer metal housing and thus destroyed, but allows the stuck bolt to pass through when (if) it moves.  Once you apply some pressure to the bolt with the puller, tapping the puller center bolt with a hammer might help jar it loose.  Just keep in mind that whenever you press anything, either hydraulically or with mechanical pressure, you are dealing with a lot of built up energy, so take all appropriate precautions, etc.  If my description of this method isn't clear, drop me an e-mail and I'll try to describe it better.
Good Luck
Colin
wwwboard

Re: your bushing dilemma............

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Colin, and Bill,

I've heard of both of these products, and also use a product made by Wurth. All marginally better than liquid wrench, but I never know if it's actually these penetrants that win, or my sheer determination to get that damn nut off!!!

Tom &nbsp