Leakdown test

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: Leakdown test. Original Engine Concerns

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Scott

Hi Tom:

Yes, now that I look at some photos I can see how tight the 330 engine compartment is - It looks like it would be difficult to remove the heads without lifting the engine up.

I think my best course is to wait until I can afford a restored car, or find an original car that has had at least a recent partial engine rebuild. I can really see how the investment in
one of these cars can shoot past the potential resale price, at least in current market conditions. One has to be ready to stay in for the long haul, which I want to do anyway.

Did you get the .doc file for the checklist?
I'll resend if needed.

Thanks,

JSA
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Scott

Hi Tom:

Yes, now that I look at some photos I can see how tight the 330 engine compartment is - It looks like it would be difficult to remove the heads without lifting the engine up.

I think my best course is to wait until I can afford a restored car, or find an original car that has had at least a recent partial engine rebuild. I can really see how the investment in
one of these cars can shoot past the potential resale price, at least in current market conditions. One has to be ready to stay in for the long haul, which I want to do anyway.

I'll resend if needed.

Thanks,

JSA
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Scott

Hi Tom:

I'll resend if needed.

Thanks,

JSA
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Scott,

I didn't get a chance to thank you for the doc file. I'll post it sometime this weekend!

It's nice to keep in mind of the resale, BUT the investment potential in old cars is hard to find. I'm doing my car for the love of the process and the enjoyment of ownership. I really don't find the enjoyment in watching my car increase in value as important. If that was the case, even a poorly performing stock will make more money than an old car!

I have this theory that old Ferraris rarely get sold unless they have a problem. A well sorted Ferrari is such a joy, I couldn't see why else someone would sell. The trick is to find a car that needs an engine rebuild, convince the owner how much it will take to rebuild the engine and subtract some of that cost from the sale price. Budget about $15-20K for an eventual rebuild, and sort the car out after you buy it. If you can do all this for less than $60K, then you'll be in good shape. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but in the long run, you'll have a very nice car that you can enjoy for a long time.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Scott,

I didn't get a chance to thank you for the doc file. I'll post it sometime this weekend!

It's nice to keep in mind of the resale, BUT the investment potential in old cars is hard to find. I'm doing my car for the love of the process and the enjoyment of ownership. I really don't find the enjoyment in watching my car increase in value as important. If that was the case, even a poorly performing stock will make more money than an old car!

I have this theory that old Ferraris rarely get sold unless they have a problem. A well sorted Ferrari is such a joy, I couldn't see why else someone would sell. The trick is to find a car that needs an engine rebuild, convince the owner how much it will take to rebuild the engine and subtract some of that cost from the sale price. Budget about $15-20K for an eventual rebuild, and sort the car out after you buy it. If you can do all this for less than $60K, then you'll be in good shape. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but in the long run, you'll have a very nice car that you can enjoy for a long time.

Tom