400i oil pressure

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

400i oil pressure

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

after warm up at idle iam around 3psi  and at appox
3000 rpm it only max out at 4.5 to 5 psi , is this KIND  of low  our just normal. i HAVE 47,500MILES ON ENGINE.
wwwboard

Re: 400i oil pressure

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by gtsteveb

Andre-
You would be in serious trouble if what you think you're reading is a PSI figure as 3 - 5 PSI is practically nothing!  Your gauge should be reading Kg/cm3 where the conversion factor is 14.22.  Multiply your gauge reading by that factor and you have the PSI equivalent.  Good luck with your car, it's a blast when it's running in top form :)

See attached link for any other conversions you can dream of wanting to make.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by gtsteveb

Looks like my link didn't post so here it is....

www.onlineconversions.com

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by gtsteveb

Sorry for the technicalities of the web, the site is:

www.onlineconversion.com

I'm sure this link will work.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

From the owners manual:

"The normal oil pressure should not be below 78 lb/sq in or above 92.5 lb/sq in with the engine running at 6,000 rpm and oil temperature at 212 degrees F"

My calculations show this to be between 5.50 and 6.50 kg/cm3. Your figures sound about right to me though. When I bought mine the pressure looked a little low and the local Ferrari agent suggested two things to check. Firstly that the gauge was reading zero with the ignition switched on and the engine not running, which mine was. Secondly they suggested I changed the oil pressure sender unit (on the 'V' at the rear of the engine). It cost about $20 and gave an instant 10lb/sq in increase in the reading.