Finding a M10 X 1.0 Die

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Finding a M10 X 1.0 Die

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hello All,

I bought new bolts to replace the old ones I had to cut off from my rear spring shackles. I need to cut these new bolts down to size and rethread them so they exactly match the old ones I'm replacing. Looking around for a tap in M10 X 1.0 pitch has not been that easy. Francois can't find his, so I want to buy one. Sears doesn't even list this size on their catalog, but Snap-on does. The question I have is why is there such a descrepancy in price from the Snap-on price of $6.50, and prices I'm getting from machine tool companies at about $40 bucks? Is there a big difference? Snap-on has a pretty good warrenty, so what could be that much better?

Tom

P.S. Any ideas how I can get this Snap-on tool without having to pay $6.50 for the die and $8.50 (!) for shipping and handling? I've never had to buy Snap-on because Craftsman usually has it!
wwwboard

Re: Finding a M10 X 1.0 Die

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by chris coios

Hello Tom,  Try a major metric hardware supplier in your area.  They will likely carry a broad range of dies.  I suggest you get a high speed die that is also adjustable so that you can best match the thread tolerances.  As usual, you get what you pay for and the better dies are sharper, harder, and more durable.  You may also wish to check the bolt dimensional specifications.  You may find that the unthreaded shank length of the bolt that you want matches a standard for a given range of partially threaded bolt lengths, the variable in the range being the threaded length.  If you can match this shank length, then you can simply shorten the threaded length, rather than have to cut threads on a hardened bolt that was made with rolled threads for strength.  Standards have changed, but many sizes are still available.  Look up a metric company called "Bossard" on the web.  They have an excellent technical manual of standards with a lot of dimensional data.  A dealer may be able to order the catalog for you, which is expensive, around $75 if I remember.  Chris
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Tom, try  www.etaps.com .  They are located in Vestal, NY-whereever that is.  I've not used them but friends who have speak highly of them.   tim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

OOOPPPPSS  Thats www.e-taps.com  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Chris,

I ordered my bolts from http://www.metricmcc.com/ , but when I placed the order, it was without their catalog, so gettting the right dimensions over the phone was difficult. I figured it was better to err on the side of a longer bolt, giving me room to work with. Now that I have a catalog, I can make more precise orders.

The extra thread I want to cut is just to insure the nut doesn't bottom out before it reaches full torque, so I hope it'll be fine!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tim,

I'll give them a call on Monday. Thanks!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Treue

Tom:
Put a nut on your bolt (on the head side of the cut).  Cut the bolt to length.  Grind the end flat, smooth and true.  Grind a 45 deg. chamfer on the end, to the thread root or not quite so far.  Back the nut off to clean the cut-and-ground area.  You're done.  You can buy a thread file which is a small, fine file with an equilateral triangle cross section to remove any burrs in the thread of the new end of the bolt.  Griot's and Sears market some clean-up taps and dies which is more what you want for shortening bolts or cleaning buggered bolts.  The dies of which you spoke are more for making original threats on bare round stock.  The Snap-On dealer will probably deliver the die to you in his truck.  Auto parts stores like NAPA will order just about anything (like a fuel pump for my 308) including your die.

I just bought 66 330 2+2  No. 9129.  Swallowed a valve.  Looking forward to returning it to service with the help of your site.  Keep up the good work

Tom Treue
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice, but I needed to cut more thread further down the partially threaded shaft of the bolt. I ended buying a die from Metric and Multistandard in NY.

Congratualtions on your purchase, and wlecome to the V-12 club! I'm sure you checked Kerry Chesbro's registry for information on your car? From the inormation there, it looks like someone screwed up the rebuild for it to drop a valve! Good luck, and we all look forward to helping you with your 330!

Tom