Toolkit on EBay

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Toolkit on EBay

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

I saw a 250 Toolkit on ebay, with a current bid price of $5,100!  I haven't followed the toolkit market, but does that sound kind of high to you?  Heck, if I were to sell mine, I would be half way to an engine rebuild!  For that matter, it is about 1/3 of what I paid for the car!  I have no intention of parting out my car, but man, a part with little practical value could cover a lot good stuff...
wwwboard

Re: Toolkit on EBay

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

Reproduction tool bags with reproduction or current model tools go for over $2,000.  So an original with all original tools at $5,000 isn't too unreasonable.  It seems high, but rarely are original bags with all tools available.  One usually have to accumulate them over several years of searching (which I'm still doing).  So if you are in the market to sell any or all, drop me an email :)
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

I know I am missing a few tools and should probably be looking for them.  Is there a list of what was supposed to be in the toolkit (brands, etc) so that I can keep an eye out for them?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

Kerry's website has a great article on the tools. Hi site is http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Lee

Five Grand will even go a long way with your local Snap-On man!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

This discussion made me go back and look at my toolkit.  I have found slight differences from the (excellent) tool FAQ on Kerry's site and from the GTE Owners manual.  

First the bag.  My bag has the wrench slots on the bottom, unlike any of the other examples.  Probably the factory didn't worry about top and bottom.  Also, my bag has slots for 8 wrenches, not 7, like the others.

Also, Kerry's wrenches say "CHROM VANADIUM" on one side and "BETA No. 55" on the other.  Mine say "CHROMO - MOLIBDENO" and "BETA - AUTO - No 55".  Probably just an earlier version, as mine are from a 250 GE and Kerry's are from a 330 GTE.

Lastly, there is a jack on EBAY if anybody needs one.    It looks similar to mine, but I cannot tell if the bar that goes into the car is triangular or cylindrical.  No bids at $190.00 though.
Ebay Jack
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

For those who don't follow ebay, the final bid was at $7,100!!!
wwwboard

Re: Toolkit on EBay (Australian perspective)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Adam

That final bid of US$7000 translates to a healthy $14,000 Australian dollars! (I could go down to the local Korean car dealer and buy a brand new car for that)
wwwboard

Re: Toolkit on EBay (Australian perspective)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by T308

you might giggle at the price, but sometimes you just gotta have it.....

now, anyone else out there have an inside plug kit they wanna sell??  

T308
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

I went to the previous owners house this afternoon and dug through her home toolbox.  In it I found the two open end wrenches my kit was missing!  However, I noticed on Kerry's site, he shows that the kit came with a 21/23mm wrench and did not have a 14/15.  My kit has a 14/15 and not a 21/23.  This may just be a difference between the 250 and 330 series.  It is also possible that I will find the 21/23 when I go back to look for the hub puller.

By the way, why was a hub puller included in the trunk took kit.  Do hubs need to be pulled that often?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

The exact contents of the tool kit is always a matter of debate. There are three different owner's manuals that I know of that were included with Ferraris bought in the 50-60s, and each of them showed slight differences in their contents.

I think the hub puller was added because not many cars, especially in the US, had splined hubs in that size. Also you need this puller to repack your wheel bearings with new grease every now and again.

Good luck in finding more tools!

Tom