Any advice on finding a Testarossa

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Any advice on finding a Testarossa

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ralph

Does anyone have advice on finding an original Testarossa.    I am looking for an original car.
Any pros and cons would be appreciated.    
Any advice on pre and post 92's.

Sincerely
Ralph Koslin
wwwboard

Re: Any advice on finding a Testarossa

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Scott

Ralph,

Check out ferrarichat.com. That board is 99% about late model cars and has many posters.

Best regards,

JSA

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ralph

Thanks for the advice.    It may not look it but
the Testarossa ain't exactly brand new.   I know it doesn't have carbs etc...    Quite a few
of these cars probably need alot of work.
Where else can you get a mid engine 12 for
the price of a middle of the road new Mercedes?     And what would the Mercedes be worth after five years?

Keep em running
Ciao
Ralph &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ralph

Thanks for the advice.    It may not look it but
the Testarossa ain't exactly brand new.   I know it doesn't have carbs etc...    Quite a few
of these cars probably need alot of work.
Where else can you get a mid engine 12 for
the price of a middle of the road new Mercedes?     And what would the Mercedes be worth after five years?

Keep em running
Ciao
Ralph &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by william speer

from 92 on, the car becames known as the 512 tr. the main difference is more power and different spoiler stlying, as well as an interior redo. the early tr's (85 and 86) have the flying mirror and no automatic seatbelts, which are nortorious for problems. 87's still have racing lugs on the wheels but have the mirror and seat belt "update" (in my opinion the best value for the $). in mid 88, the wheels became five lug wheels and really have no other difference. the biggest problem with these cars is upkeep and maintence. many low milage cars have not had the updates (ie. altenator pulley) and will require addressing if you intend to use the car regualarly. additionally, the value for the dollar, the testarossa delivers more bang for the buck than the 512 tr. oddly enough, people do not realize that the testarossa is no longer being made. a 512 tr will always be more expensive than a testarossa, but a testarossa will never depreciate. i wouldn't consider them investments because by the time you factor in insurance and maintenance they will "cost" you money, but i would consider that for $60k you can't beat the performance and there will always be a person that would prefer to pay that for a ferrari than a new car. these cars are like anything else, they perform and are store of value. as for the cars themselves, they have tempermental problems. the fuse boxes are probabley the greatest downfall of the cars. aside form that and the stupid seatbelts, they are great cars. i have owned a 1987 testarossa for about three years and have had very few problems with it. other than routine maintence and typical "ferrari problems", i've had no real issues with the car. if you would like further info, please email me at wspeer@wt.net

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by william speer

from 92 on, the car becames known as the 512 tr. the main difference is more power and different spoiler stlying, as well as an interior redo. the early tr's (85 and 86) have the flying mirror and no automatic seatbelts, which are nortorious for problems. 87's still have racing lugs on the wheels but have the mirror and seat belt "update" (in my opinion the best value for the $). in mid 88, the wheels became five lug wheels and really have no other difference. the biggest problem with these cars is upkeep and maintence. many low milage cars have not had the updates (ie. altenator pulley) and will require addressing if you intend to use the car regualarly. additionally, the value for the dollar, the testarossa delivers more bang for the buck than the 512 tr. oddly enough, people do not realize that the testarossa is no longer being made. a 512 tr will always be more expensive than a testarossa, but a testarossa will never depreciate. i wouldn't consider them investments because by the time you factor in insurance and maintenance they will "cost" you money, but i would consider that for $60k you can't beat the performance and there will always be a person that would prefer to pay that for a ferrari than a new car. these cars are like anything else, they perform and are store of value. as for the cars themselves, they have tempermental problems. the fuse boxes are probabley the greatest downfall of the cars. aside form that and the stupid seatbelts, they are great cars. i have owned a 1987 testarossa for about three years and have had very few problems with it. other than routine maintence and typical "ferrari problems", i've had no real issues with the car. if you would like further info, please email me at wspeer@wt.net