400 automantic

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

400 automantic

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

is it ok to manualy shift a 400i automantic, if so at what rpm 1st to 2nd . 2nd to 3rd.

wwwboard

Re: 400 automantic

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Andre,

I can't see any harm in doing it on occasion, and obviously, you should shift before your engine's rev limits!

One warning, though, depending on how hard you're pressing on the gas, and if you're easing off between shifts, you may cause some undue stress to the internals of the transmission.

Aren't these transmissions basically GM trannys? Will stronger clutch packs for a GM transmission fit, along with shift kits to shorten the shifts?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

I was wondering if a shift kit was possible along with bullit proffing it. can I order parts from any transmission builder, our is there some special part number that i can cross reference with. buy doing this will it prolong
the life of the transmisson our shorting it.are there any other upgrading thats possible that Iam not aware of, thanks.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

I was wondering if a shift kit was possible along with bullit proffing it. can I order parts from any transmission builder, our is there some special part number that i can cross reference with. buy doing this will it prolong
the life of the transmisson our shorting it.are there any other upgrading thats possible that Iam not aware of, thanks.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Peter Skudder

If the manufacturer has made it possible to manually move the automatic gear lever then I guess they wanted the driver to be able to manually shift it.

I would also imagine that Ferrari has (hopefully) made sure that the automatic gearbox can handle the power and torque of their engine, so unless you want to do burn-out or drag racing type starts it should be able to handle it.

My fathers business used to get the ocassional V8 customer who used to hold high rpm in Neutral and then move the lever straight to Drive or 1st, thus doing the big tyre burn-out ... and also destroying the automatic in the process. I am sure that Ferrari owners would not be so brutal on their cars.

BTW: I used to manually shift my fathers Jensen Interceptor all the time :) and that motor produces alot of torque and that car is still happy motoring. I believe that gearbox came from Chrysler not GM (?) so maybe not relevant ...

Pete
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Although not much better for the transmission or torque converter, a "brake stand" is better than a "neutral drop" as you described for a burnout with an automatic. You put the car in drive, or whatever gear gives you the best effect, rev the engine to where you get more torque, and release the brake. Depending on how your torque converter is set up, you'll put on a good show. Not recommended for conscientious Ferrari owners with small wallets!

I did it when I was 20, but some of us never grow up!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike H

I understand most European cars using GM transmissions used the TH400 -certainly Jaguar, Rolls-Royce etc, so I would be surprised if the 400i was different. Its a very strong transmission -will easily take the torque of a 502 Chevy, so I don't think a Ferrari will be any problem. If you want to get expert advice on these transmissions, I suggest you go to http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/forum/Ultimate.cgi where there are lots of people using these to propel 4000lb chevelles to 10 second quarter miles!

Mike