Exploding clutch pedal assist spring - source?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Exploding clutch pedal assist spring - source?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

You'd be amazed what it sounds like when your clutch pedal assist spring breaks... like a bullet hitting the back of your dash, or like the brake booster exploding for no apparent reason.  At least the spring is easy to get to.

Anyway, I now need a new clutch pedal assist spring for my 330. I coudn't find anything close at McMaster-Carr.  Can anyone out there recommend another source?
wwwboard

Re: Exploding clutch pedal assist spring - source?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Deane,

Are you talking about the one on your pedal? You're lucky it didn't take a piece of your shin with it!

Sounds like a used part. I'd call the usual suspects.If you have trouble, let me know, and I look around here.

Tom
wwwboard

Re: Exploding clutch pedal assist spring - source?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

You're tight, Tom, I'll try dialing for dollars and see what I can find.  It is in fact the beefy over-center spring on the pedal that helps take the pedal load as you fully depress the clutch.

Looking closely at my spring pieces, I don't think it's the original one - at least the ends of the spring don't look like the one in my parts book.
wwwboard

Found my spring

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I found a replacement clutch pedal assist spring for my 330 at:

www.myferrarispring.com

Just kidding.

Turns out that Patrick Ottis (the west coast's Francois, or the other way around) keeps a few on the shelf.  Putting it on the car is a different matter - if I want to do it myself, Patrick recommended I buy a truck brake spring expander tool.