MSD Ignition

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: MSD Ignition

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

Todd,

I did exactly what you are proposing with my C4.  I purchased 2 MSD units with the soft rev limiter.  I used one of the two sets of points in the distributor (took the second set off line – I have yet to address the throttle actuated retard – but have some ideas of what I might want to do to improve gas milage). I ran three wires for each MSD unit, one to the points and one to each side of the coil as prescribed in the MSD “point actuated” wiring diagram.  I ran 10-gauge wire from each MSD uint to the load side of the amp meter shunt, and I put a spade lug on the MSD “on wire” which I plugged into the “ignition actuated on pin” in the original Dinoplex socket.   

Works great, no issues in 5k miles – do recommend.

Aaron

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Aaron,

Thanks a lot. Did you have to change out the wires or do the stock ones work fine?

Todd
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Aaron,

Thanks a lot. Did you have to change out the wires or do the stock ones work fine?

Todd
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Aaron,

Todd
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron

Todd,

I ran all the new/MSD wiring in parallel - additional wires.  I carefully tied up the original wiring to perserve.  I see no reason why some of the old wiring could not be used. In retro-spect I probably should have use the original points  wire to connect to the MSD unit(s).

There is a caution in the MSD manual regarding cross talk between the MSD coil wire pair and the point pick up wire. I'm not sure how big a concern this is but to be on the safe side, I ran them in different bundles. Also, the Dinoplex unit drives the high (+) side of the coil where the MSD drives both, so you will have to run (I think) one additional wire anyway.   Hope this helps

Aaron
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron

Todd,

I ran all the new/MSD wiring in parallel - additional wires.  I carefully tied up the original wiring to perserve.  I see no reason why some of the old wiring could not be used. In retro-spect I probably should have use the original points  wire to connect to the MSD unit(s).

There is a caution in the MSD manual regarding cross talk between the MSD coil wire pair and the point pick up wire. I'm not sure how big a concern this is but to be on the safe side, I ran them in different bundles. Also, the Dinoplex unit drives the high (+) side of the coil where the MSD drives both, so you will have to run (I think) one additional wire anyway.   Hope this helps

Aaron
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron

Todd,

Aaron