MSD Ignition

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

MSD Ignition

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Hi everyone,

I am the proud buyer of Zac's spare 1967 365 GT 2+2 engine and transmission. While waiting for them, I got interested in the MSD 6AL ignitions. Their literature talks about needing some kind of special kind of wires and distance between them to avoid inductive detonation. Has anyone used an MSD-type device with a Ferrari V-12? What wires and coils are appropriate? Are there any special considerations I should know about?

Thanks,
Todd
wwwboard

Re: MSD Ignition

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Todd,

Be aware that 7mm wires will fit in the Marelli distributor caps, and anything thicker may not fit. You may also have problems with running these thicker wires into the aluminum wire keepers, but new ones can be fabricated if need be. These days, 8mm, and thicker ignition wires are all the rage, but it might not be as easy to get them to fit Vintage Ferrari ignitions. The higher voltage the MSD systems are capable of will certainly be better with thicker wires.

If you're going to retrofit MSD ignition system, you'll need to address the timing of the two distributors. Are you going to fire two boxes, or use one distributor to fire all 12 cylinders? Needless to say it's not a bolt in application. I've also considered getting pertronics to make a kit, but never went further than the first phone call.

There's a guy in California that makes a retro fit electronic ignition system for Ferrari V-12s that I met last year in Monterey, but I've lost the information. Perhaps someone has that info?

Tom Yang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Tom,
Thanks for the quick reply. My plan at this point is to use the stock distributors and points, with the points triggering the MSD 6AL box. This will require two systems, obviously.

A more complete conversion to electronics is a little aggressive for me at this time, unless someone else has worked out the kinks. Ideally I would have a crank trigger and maybe even individual coils with an controller, thus ditching the distributors altogether (since I am not trying to restore something to like-new condition), but I don't think I am up to that just yet!

I suppose I need to know from somebody if the 7mm stock wires will work OK with the MSD.

Thanks,
Todd

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Tom,
Thanks for the quick reply. My plan at this point is to use the stock distributors and points, with the points triggering the MSD 6AL box. This will require two systems, obviously.

A more complete conversion to electronics is a little aggressive for me at this time, unless someone else has worked out the kinks. Ideally I would have a crank trigger and maybe even individual coils with an controller, thus ditching the distributors altogether (since I am not trying to restore something to like-new condition), but I don't think I am up to that just yet!

I suppose I need to know from somebody if the 7mm stock wires will work OK with the MSD.

Thanks,
Todd

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Todd,

Since you'll be using the points to trigger the box which will in turn collapse the field to the coil, the cross firing will happen depending how much high the voltage is on the coil you choose. A 10,000 volt coil may not cross fire as readily as a 50,000 volt coil.

Now I'm not electronic expert, so I'm only applying what I know. If anyone thinks my theories are incorrect, please let me know!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Todd,

Since you'll be using the points to trigger the box which will in turn collapse the field to the coil, the cross firing will happen depending how much high the voltage is on the coil you choose. A 10,000 volt coil may not cross fire as readily as a 50,000 volt coil.

Now I'm not electronic expert, so I'm only applying what I know. If anyone thinks my theories are incorrect, please let me know!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Todd,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

My engine has Lucas coils instead of the original Marelli. Does anyone know how to identify these and determine their specs?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

My engine has Lucas coils instead of the original Marelli. Does anyone know how to identify these and determine their specs?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Todd,

Sorry, no idea! Anybody with more electrical experience know how to check this?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Todd,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Todd,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

Todd,

I did exactly what you are proposing with my C4.  I purchased 2 MSD units with the soft rev limiter.  I used one of the two sets of points in the distributor (took the second set off line – I have yet to address the throttle actuated retard – but have some ideas of what I might want to do to improve gas milage). I ran three wires for each MSD unit, one to the points and one to each side of the coil as prescribed in the MSD “point actuated” wiring diagram.  I ran 10-gauge wire from each MSD uint to the load side of the amp meter shunt, and I put a spade lug on the MSD “on wire” which I plugged into the “ignition actuated on pin” in the original Dinoplex socket.   

Works great, no issues in 5k miles – do recommend.

Aaron

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

Todd,

I did exactly what you are proposing with my C4.  I purchased 2 MSD units with the soft rev limiter.  I used one of the two sets of points in the distributor (took the second set off line – I have yet to address the throttle actuated retard – but have some ideas of what I might want to do to improve gas milage). I ran three wires for each MSD unit, one to the points and one to each side of the coil as prescribed in the MSD “point actuated” wiring diagram.  I ran 10-gauge wire from each MSD uint to the load side of the amp meter shunt, and I put a spade lug on the MSD “on wire” which I plugged into the “ignition actuated on pin” in the original Dinoplex socket.   

Works great, no issues in 5k miles – do recommend.

Aaron