marine transport insurance for Ferrari??

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

marine transport insurance for Ferrari??

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

It seems that I am back in the game to acquire my 250 GTE (the seller made a couple of concessions). The results of my inspection come back next week, so if there are no major issues, I should be prepared to pay for and transport the car from Amsterdam to California. I got a quote for a roll on/roll off (no containers, a giant parking lot inside the ship)  for $1095, but I need to find insurance. I do not want the total loss one (what is the chance of the boat sinking, really...), but the damage AND total loss variety. Can anyone recommend a vendor? I got a quote of $1000 from the transport company, but I am allowed to go with a third party, if I can find a better rate. Any common wisdom about insuring cars to travel across the Atlantic (and then some)?

thx, luke, SF, CA
74 Alfa Spider
90 Porsche 911 C4
98 Audi A6 Q
a V12 Ferrari? come to Papa !!!
wwwboard

Re: marine transport insurance for Ferrari??

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

I was in the auto import/export for many years and, trust me, when I say you want to put the car in a container. Otherwise, as you say, the car is just sitting in an open car park (I have seen then actually put on theopen top deck) and the damage that the salt water can do in a 2-3 weeks is amazing, plus it will get hit by anything rolling around on the deck, and a lot of sailors get to play with a Ferrari. Unless it has changed the keys are left in the cars also in case they need to evacuate the ship quickly. Please do not imagine that the stevedores will take any care of your car whatsoever. Put it in a container - you may be able to share a 40 foot container with someone else.

The insurance will be cheaper in a container (used to be 2% of the vehicle value plus shipping). As a guide Ro/Ro (Roll On/Roll Off) used to cost in thelate 80s/early 90s around $700, a 20 foot container (1 car) was $1,200 and a 40 foot container (2 cars) was $2,200). This was for shipping East Coast US to Tilbury, London. East Coast US to Rotterdam was not a great deal more, if any, as the ships used to call at both London and Rotterdam. California will be more, I seem to remember that a 20 foot container was around $1,800-$2,000. Of course these prices will have risen but it gives you an idea of the relationships. Hope this helps.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Luke,

I would agree with Simon. Although there will be insurance, if anything is pilfered off the car for souvenirs, it will be a pain in the ass to find again. Anything from the prancing horse in the grile, to the tools in the trunk could be lost. Try to convince the insurance company a wrench costs $100 bucks!

I'm crossing my finngers for you!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jack Horner

I shipped our Ferrari from Grosse Pointe, MI to London in 1988 and returned to Connecticut in 1992.  Simon's prices for shipping and insurance sound correct for that era.  PUT IT IN A CONTAINER.  When you receive the car this end go over all moving parts.  Even brake caliper/ pistons/rotors, etc can freeze from moisture.  I insured it through the insurance company used by my shipper and received a price break for doing that.  We put it solo in a 20 foot container both ways and was insured against loss and damage.  That helped pay for aforementioned brake service required and a few other odd items.  If you can request that the container go below decks w/out much extra cost, do so.   I had the car delivered on both ends of the odyssey to a recognized Ferrari facility and only signed off for delivery acceptance after the car was inspected and agreement reached w/ shipper and ins co for damage/repairs due to shipping.  They did that on the spot.  Therefore, a thorough inspection prior to shipping is a good idea.  Also, make sure that the shipper can handle US Customs, etc for you.  Jack Horner  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jack Horner

I shipped our Ferrari from Grosse Pointe, MI to London in 1988 and returned to Connecticut in 1992.  Simon's prices for shipping and insurance sound correct for that era.  PUT IT IN A CONTAINER.  When you receive the car this end go over all moving parts.  Even brake caliper/ pistons/rotors, etc can freeze from moisture.  I insured it through the insurance company used by my shipper and received a price break for doing that.  We put it solo in a 20 foot container both ways and was insured against loss and damage.  That helped pay for aforementioned brake service required and a few other odd items.  If you can request that the container go below decks w/out much extra cost, do so.   I had the car delivered on both ends of the odyssey to a recognized Ferrari facility and only signed off for delivery acceptance after the car was inspected and agreement reached w/ shipper and ins co for damage/repairs due to shipping.  They did that on the spot.  Therefore, a thorough inspection prior to shipping is a good idea.  Also, make sure that the shipper can handle US Customs, etc for you.  Jack Horner  &nbsp