miserable rear suspension

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

miserable rear suspension

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Greetings...  Tom, isn't putting the rear suspension together fun? (Ok I have a weird sense of fun).  One of the problems I had was keeping the rear shackle from going over-center; that is the rear shackle pointing from the chassis upwards instead of down.  Just when you thing everythings right you hear a loud bang and the rear shackle has repostioned itself.  Right now, you should have the axle housing hanging from the limit cable.  At this point, put a jack under the spring just behind where the spring plate mounts and raise the spring up to the axle.  When you get it almost there, you should be able to wiggle the axle around a little to get it to mate with the spring.  I used a long tapered pry-bar to line things up.  Once you get one bolt in you will smile almost as much as when you get all 4 in.  Putting the rear suspension together was one of the most miserable tasks I've done on any of my toys.      tim
wwwboard

Re: miserable rear suspension

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tim,

Doesn't the top locating arm keep the rear shackle from twisting?

I am really looking forward to next week with a real feeling of trepidation, but what doesn't kill me will make me stronger, right?...right?

Once I finish this side, I've got the whole other side of the suspension to deal with! Oh, Joy!

Why couldn't I have chosen to restore my Mustang Fastback three years ago? Life would have been so much easier,..and cheaper! I guess I'm either a masochist, or always up for something more challenging!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

It will once you get the spring and axle together.  I went back and looked at the picture and the spring is 5 or so inches below the axle.  The fun starts when you start to raise the spring up to the axle.  If think I used a pry-bar to keep the rear shackle from moving the wrong way.  I also tried lowering the axle to the spring and for some reason I don't remember (I've tried to block it all out) it didn't work.  I'm sure there is more than one way to get it back together and I think I tried most of them.          tim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tim,

WHen you put your axle back in, was it attached to the drive shaft? I'm hoping that with Francois' wisdom in not removing the left spring assembly as well, the axle will be a little easier to manage. I've got may fingers crossed!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tim,

WHen you put your axle back in, was it attached to the drive shaft? I'm hoping that with Francois' wisdom in not removing the left spring assembly as well, the axle will be a little easier to manage. I've got may fingers crossed!

Tom