Does anybody really care what time it is?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Does anybody really care what time it is?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Charlie Dodge

Hi Tom,

I recall that about a year ago you rebuilt your clock.  Does it still keep the correct time?  It seems that automotive clocks have never really been accurate or functional.  I think Einstein suggested that as you go faster time slows down.  Perhaps this explains why my Ferrari's clock is never correct.

I would like to repair mine too.  I only want to know if the repair will last more than a year.  If repairing the clock becomes an annual event, I might have to consider either a watch or a more carefree lifestyle.  I bet that is why you see so many watch ads in Forza.

What did you find to be the problem areas in your clock?
wwwboard

Re: Does anybody really care what time it is?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Charlie,

Old automotive clocks suffer from a combinationn of things that make them prone to failure. With classic cars, we often don't keep the batteries plugged in, so the clocks sit idle for long periods of time. Just like wind up wristwatches, they last longer if they are used. This is because the oil on the movements doesn't settle on the gears and gum up from disuse. Another factor I found on VDO clocks in Porsches is the points burn out from low voltage that is not strong enough to fire the magnet to tension the spring, but just enough to arc the points.

So in answer to your question...your results may vary!

My clock hasn't been plugged in, so who knows if it'll work when I get the car up and running. It's another thing I'll need to cross my fingers on!

I think D&M restorations will also replace the guts of your clock with a quartz movement if you "really want to know what time it is!"

Since I have you hear, Charlie, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO SEND ME THE STORY TO YOUR CAR TO THE OWNERS's SITE?!!! Is that enough guilt? Hope to see it soon!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Donovan Leyden (FCA nationals judge) told me that it's no longer a concours faux pas to have a quartz movement in your clock, at least per FCA judging rules. The visible difference is in the movement of the second hand.

That said, the only thing I use my clock for is to tell how long ago I said I'd be home already - something about the sound of that motor....

Palo Alto Speedometer (Palo Alto, CA) is well-known for quartz clock replacements.  They can do a really nice job, putting on a new bezel ring.  If you want to use D&M, be sure to ask them how the metal bezel will look when they're done, and what sort of tools they use to remove and replace the bezel.

I don't know who restored the instruments on my car, but the bezels were really chewed up on the sides from not having the proper tools.  They looked like they were removed with a screwdriver and crimped back on with pliers. So just a word of caution before you ship your clock.

I took most all of my instruments back out and had Palo Alto Speedo replace the bezels.  They used new bezels they had made, and a purpose-built crimping fixture. Now the instruments look great, just like new from the front, side, or back.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

I had my instruments done by D & M and they came back looking great. No marks anywhere.

My clock keeps good time now, we will see how it does after 6 months or more.

Bill
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

I had my instruments done by D & M and they came back looking great. No marks anywhere.

My clock keeps good time now, we will see how it does after 6 months or more.

Bill