daytona spider conversion?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

daytona spider conversion?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David S. Woodruff

Does anyone know how many Daytonas have been converted to spiders?  Any opinions on whether a converted daytona would be a bad investment? How much is market for a nice spider conversion?
wwwboard

Re: daytona spider conversion?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

1) Many berlinettas have been cut.  It might be easier to find a cut car than the real thing, and certainly it's cheaper. Watch out, as the quality of the conversion varies: have the car checked by an expert before you buy.

2)You'll have about the same "investment" chances as with a non-cut berlinetta: buy one because you want it, not because you hope to make any money. This is true of most serial production Ferraris.

3) Market price is about the same as a non-cut car.  You'll see several ads in the Ferrari Market Letter.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi David,

I agree with Deane, buy one if you really want one. They will be hard pressed to get much more that a coupe because they are not originally built like that from the factory.

The quality of the work would be a concern considering how much power that V-12 engine is capable of producing. Did the factory reinforce the chassis after they cut the top, or was it strong enough to go without? If there was factory reinforcement of the originals, did the aftermarket chop job follow these proceedures? How well does the top mechanism work? Does it latch well? How badly does it flap around when driving at speed?

I know I'm asking more questions than giving answers, but these will help you decide! I'd be interested in what you find, and what you decide. Good luck.

Tom Yang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I've heard that the factory spyder did have some chassis reinforcement over the coupe.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I've heard that the factory spyder did have some chassis reinforcement over the coupe.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

I have heard of factory chassis reinforcements as well and have also seen conversion spiders advertised as having been converted and reinforced identically to a factory spider (Michael Sheehan??, 180 Sports Classics?? I don't remember). If I wanted one of these, this would be what I would want, and I would drive it for fun.

I will chime in with my personal feeling that Ferrari's are to be driven and enjoyed regardless of "value" so long as a person is not disrespectful to the car. I must admit that I admired, but felt very sorry for, the two guys that crashed up the back of a 250 TR with (I think) a 250 SWB Berlinetta on the track (the pictures were shown on Barchetta). OUCH!!! If such things are too much for you to bear, buy a Porsche!!!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

I have heard of factory chassis reinforcements as well and have also seen conversion spiders advertised as having been converted and reinforced identically to a factory spider (Michael Sheehan??, 180 Sports Classics?? I don't remember). If I wanted one of these, this would be what I would want, and I would drive it for fun.

I will chime in with my personal feeling that Ferrari's are to be driven and enjoyed regardless of "value" so long as a person is not disrespectful to the car. I must admit that I admired, but felt very sorry for, the two guys that crashed up the back of a 250 TR with (I think) a 250 SWB Berlinetta on the track (the pictures were shown on Barchetta). OUCH!!! If such things are too much for you to bear, buy a Porsche!!!